Striker fired vs Hammer fired.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Striker fired vs Hammer fired.

I really can't find any info on what is "better", seems to be personal preference. I guess I like the process and look of the hammer fired. Anyone have any good info Im missing in making a decision on what hand gun to purchase?

Im down to 3.

FNX-9

Walther P99

CZ 75 P01 (though I see they also have a new lighter compact)

The CZ is considerably heavier than the other 2 though this isn't going to be a "carry" I may carry it once in a great while but its more of something to shoot at the range.

The Walther fits my hand well but is striker fired. Tried and true from what I read and durable. (Phil could chime in here!)

The FNX is the front runner. Fits my hand well but the grip is abrasive pins but has some other back straps I didnt try. All the goodies of the FNP 9 but updated. I like the controls and they are easy to reach and use. New gun, early reviews are great. Little muzzle flip and no jamming that I have found on the interweb.

I really can't find any bad info on any of these but if you know to stay away from one for a specific reason please chime in. None of them are really expensive but I would hate to waste money on something that needs to be sent back a lot.

P.S. Glocks dont fit well and neither do the XD/XDM springfields. Both feel blocky and awkward to hold. Open to all other suggestions on models to look at.

Cant go wrong with either the CZ75 or the FN. External hammer usually means better trigger pull, while striker fire means you have a Glock and a trigger like a wet sponge.

HA! IN BEFORE THE HATERS.

I'm a 1911 Fanboy, but I've been looking into getting myself the FNP45.

If it helps, FN has excellent customer service and they do supply thousands of firearms to the US Military. FN firearms are made here, while the others are made overseas.
    Last edited by Buffalo Phil; 11-02-2010, 07:45 AM.
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

ewww 9mm .... lol

i would look at Sig's (226 or 229) they are my favorite handgun to shoot
      "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

I was told to steer clear of the new Sigs. The guy at Cabelas (take it with a grain of salt) said lately a bunch have been sent back and he told me to find a german made if that is what I decided to purchase.

Thanks for the FN vouche Phil. They don't seem to be as popular as the others but seem to have great features.

Comment

.40 S&W do it!
          "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Originally posted by CSaddict View Post
            I was told to steer clear of the new Sigs. The guy at Cabelas (take it with a grain of salt) said lately a bunch have been sent back and he told me to find a german made if that is what I decided to purchase.
            The state cops now use Sigs, I have shot a few of theirs and my friends that shoot a lot love them for their rock solid reliability and accuracy. Donno i guess people can say something bad about any gun. just get one that you like and im sure you will be more then happy

Comment

Now why go .40 instead of 9mm? Stopping power? Not that concerned about knocking someone down. The 9mm seems more economical to shoot. I intend to use this gun as a learning tool and then step into some of the competitions at the club I belong to. The guys at the club suggested I shoot hand guns so I can compete in all classes as we have a club wide competition and right now all I shoot is trap. (which I'm not exactly good at. hit 23 on Sunday though)

I think from here I would step into a .45 1911 target piece of some type.

Comment

FN doesn't seem popular because not a lot of people know about the pistols. When people think of Military Handguns, they think of HK, Sig and Colt and other big names. FN has always been around, but have just recently started to get really big into the Civilian Market.

Either get a 9mm or a 45. I'm not a fan of the unsupported chamber in the 40 SW.
                sigpic
                Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
                  Either get a 9mm or a 45. I'm not a fan of the unsupported chamber in the 40 SW.
                  ????

i dont like 9mm because i feel its not as accurate, I have never shot a 9mm that i liked. and to me when shooting the same gun of these two calibers , the 9mm tends to be more "jumpy".

go to hoffmans, you can shoot just about any gun there for $10 too see if you like it or not.

i just scooped a glock 23 (.40) and im a happy camper

Comment

Well it seems there is only one option for you Dave you need a .50 desert eagle

I actaully agree with Dana on the sigs a couple of my buddies bought them. They were pretty comfy to hold, fire, they were pretty accurate. If i had the cash on me i would of bought one then.

Kimber custom target 2
                    1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                    2001 wj tbd
                    1974 5 ton

Comment

Working...
                    X