Red ring of death Xbox style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red ring of death Xbox style

I had the Red ring of death 3 red rings, I was pissed especially since it is out of warranty and it cost $99 plus shipping to fix it at Microsoft.

So I asked google man he knows a lot.
    Found videos on Youtube everything well non X rated is on there.

They told me to take off heat sinks get rid of the X brace and go with screws instead and replace the thermal paste.

Then plug it in with out the fans blowing on the graphics card heat sink until you get the over heating error (melts solder back together resets errors). wait 20min to cool off plug it back in and bam.

I now have a working Xbox360 again.

~Justin
    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
    www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

coulda just wrapped a towel around it in the oven on a low temp.....your xbox should continue to work for a few more hours of use then die again. just know that since you did take it apart and removed parts, you can not send it in now or ever (if and when it dies again). eh, used ones are only $109.99
    I once had a 93 XJ, 4.5" o' lift, 33" TSL Super Swampers, 8.25 rear Detroit locked. 2,000 Lb Steering. Custom rockers, Sam's old Bumpah. Cherry Bomb BITCH. SOLD

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

Comment

I played if for a couple hours last night. We'll see how long it lasts.

I got it used from a friend the manufacturing date is 2005. So it had a good life.

That is why I opened it up why would I send it back to microsoft for $100 and shipping when I can get a reman for little over $100 with a 1 year warranty and no shipping. And get all the extras power supply and cables etc.
      If it comes with a controller it would be even more worth it.
      RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:
      Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

guess you didn't go today justin?
        mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
        2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
        and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

Towel trick worked for me too. The reason the soder gets all screwed up is because it is lead free.
          99 XJ 4.5" Long Arms & 32x11.5 KM2's

Comment

I really wanted to but that his a long trip.
            Hopefully next year.

Originally posted by Lawn Guyland View Post
            guess you didn't go today justin?
            RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:

Comment

yeah, im bummed i had to work, hopefully the rain held out for them
              mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
              2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
              and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

towel trick = wrap in towel and put in oven at low temp. Thats it. and whats "a low temp"?
                Mine died a year ago and really dont want to pay to fix it.

Comment

I just wrapped mine in the towel and turned it on for like 20 min w/o the hard drive on it. Then put the hard drive back on and turn it on. That worked for me.
                  99 XJ 4.5" Long Arms & 32x11.5 KM2's

Comment

Once you disassemble it microsoft will not work on it. For me I wasn't going to send it back anyways.
                    So if your not going to send it back just take it apart it is pretty easy just fallow the youtube instructions.

Remove the fan so it only cools the CPU the taller heat sink Plug it in make sure it is hooked up to the TV or you get 4 red lights
                    wait for the 2 lights to start flashing about 20 min, 2 lights means it over heated. then you have to unplug the power source.

Some people removed the fan all together and insulate it in a towel and get it to over heat in 6min but I would rather do it slowly.

Then let it cool and it worked.

But to keep it from happening again you need to replace the heat paste on the heat sinks and use screws instead of the stupid sheet metal brackets.

Oven and towel trick is if you don't want to take it apart.

I was suspicious but it actually worked.
                    Worth the $20 on the paste (radio shack), and 5mmx.80 screws and washers.

People have different ways of doing it I went through the chassis, so drilled out the 4 holes then used 3 steel washers for spacer and 1 nylon on bottom then 1 nylon on top and a steel on top of that, then into the heat sink.

I'll let you know how long it lasts.
                    Last edited by customcreationsllc; 10-04-2010, 02:17 PM.
                    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:

Comment

I used a damp towel and that worked for a few days, then i sold it to some kid and made 60 bucks
                      God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Never mind it died again last night.

Anyone selling an Xbox360?
                        RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:

Comment

I've got a newer on I wouldnt mind parting with.

Old style HDD won't fit on it though. Need a cable to transfer all the information to it.
                          sigpic
                          Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

i used a guide on youtube to fix mine and it's been working just fine for about a month so far. i've got another one that i'm going to attempt to fix later on today. i'll let you know what happens if you want
                            94 xj 4.0L, AW4, 242
                            3" rusty's lift, 33x12.5 bfg km2's, custom front bumper

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
                              Never mind it died again last night.

Anyone selling an Xbox360?
                              I had the same result with my old console, the thread is on here somewhere. Microsoft failed to notice overheating issues with the early consoles so unfortunately pulling it apart to replace the paste only works out for a temp
                              Fix.

On the other hand, i picked up a newer model and haven't had any problems since.

Comment

Working...
                              X