Quick help with U joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick help with U joints

I need to replace my front axle shaft ujoints and got into an argument with the parts guy over which one i needed.

is a 371 joint compatible? i was fighting for 297 and he says theyre the same. the 371 is $8 and its all he has, i just dont want to buy it and have it not fit as i hav the axleshafts in my hands. i dont give a crap about how stout they are, i just want cheap and working.

what say you, parts guys?
    winng. all the goddamned time.

**MY STATEMENTS AND/OR OPINIONS IN NO WAY REFLECT THOSE OF THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT.

i just did a quick google search and apparently its the same thing. supposedly if you ask for one for a TJ they will show a 371 joint...but its supposed to be the same thing as a 297.

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

thanks. i tried google but i dont trust some of the things it came up with. the $8 is whats making me think its wrong, since the lowest price ive found for a 297 is $20 bucks.

**MY STATEMENTS AND/OR OPINIONS IN NO WAY REFLECT THOSE OF THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT.

Comment

yea i found a few numbers....the 371 is nongreasable standard duty and 377 is greasable HD

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

have him cross reference spicer no.'s: 5-297x and 5-760x. As far as i know those are the only two that will fit into a dana 30 axleshaft.

If you are at a parts store... aka advance, autismzone, etc. They list all the ujoints on in the same place in their coimputers, so i would have dumbasses giving people driveshaft joints in place of axle joints. It may be that retailer's number for the driveshaft joint. From what i have found everyone has different numbers for them.
          No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
          Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

$8 bucks a joint and a 2 year warranty, down from $30. I love Oreilly's.

Comment

good to go

these things were dry as a bone, one of the bearing caps had the needles welded together. solved all my issues.

Comment

Working...
              X