Looking for a new sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a new sound

So, after the impromptu Zulliano jam sesh post-meet, I started thinking about my guitar tone. I have a pretty heavy tone if I want, but at the same time, my lead tone sounds to deep. Hard to explain, but I'll try to get a sound clip of my bridge pickup's tone. I'm running a modified Epi Firebird with Gibson Burstbuckers (#2 neck and #3 bridge), through a Blackstar HT-5 Microstack, with minimal pedal effects (most commonly an MXR 10-band EQ, Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer modified by Keeley Electronics, a Boss noie supressor, and an Electro-Harmonix linear power booster). Any ideas on what to tweak to "brighten" the lead tone? I've already tried tweaking the amp and the EQ and any tone controls on my pedals, and it's still too deep.
    2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
    MK2 Jetta > M3
    Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Well, I run a 5u5u4jrhf with a fhdu48 pedal accentuator.

it really helps deepen the tone vibe, but you may want to try a 574jdj string set with a built in Knibbler switch to adjust tonular frequency changes due to alternating pedal effects.
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

Comment

It's all about the Knibbler switch...

Should I just make 10 louder? I mean, it goes to 11 already, but who knows?
      MK2 Jetta > M3

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QWOc0HnItM[/ame]

mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
        2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
        and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

Wes Borland is the fucking shit. I used to have my 7-string tuned to the same wierd tuning he uses.
          MK2 Jetta > M3

Comment

ill come jam with you and my ESP F255 will make your 7 string sound like a ukulele
            2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
            1945 Willys-Overland CJ2A

Comment

Originally posted by Lycaon View Post
              ill come jam with you and my ESP F255 will make your 7 string sound like a ukulele
              I rock an ESP F400fm currently

ps Rob having used a bunch of setups and seen even more used playing gigs I've realized that alot of people overuse their eqs, try modifying your tone by setting you eq to all 0's, then go from there with all your pedals off. I see so many people go crazy with their eqs by scooping/boosting stuff that doesn't need it.

Other than that it might just be the tone ofthe amp is bassy, my old Randall just could not get the low end tightness I wanted so I had to go to the 6505+

also, try the amp with nothing, then add a pedal at a time, seeing what is needed and what's not. I told you at Matthias' house I used to run everything, BBE Sonic Maximizer, Graphic Eq, Compression and Gate, but it got to a point where the amp was being drowned in processing, maybe you just need to give that little tube firebreather some time being played oh natural
              dirty30

Comment

we all need to get together at some point and have a session
                2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
                1945 Willys-Overland CJ2A

Comment

http://www.rocktron.com/

these were the effects i was talking about. Rocktron tube pedals, shit is amazing, listen to the tone on some of the clips they have on the main page.

The Metal Planet one is the distortion i wanted from the very beginning. awesome stuff.
                  No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                  Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

That's actually a pretty gnarly pedal. At one point on the demo vid, he's almost got a Billy Gibbons-like tone.
                    MK2 Jetta > M3

Comment

One of the kids i used to record with had one, they are amazing.

By the way all the guitar talk had me thinking, so i went and checked out jackson guitars to see what they got goin on..... holy hell dude, the 30th aniversary rhodes flying v is amazing, not to mention the new style soloists.

Last edited by Zullock Holmes; 08-29-2010, 11:06 PM.
                      No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

I had the Stevie Ray setup of the two different Tube Screamers for a bit, but it wasn't heavy enough for some of the stuff I wanted to do.
                        MK2 Jetta > M3

Comment

Great pedal<great rig sans pedal, pedal are meant to enhance your tone, not define it
                          dirty30

Comment

Dillon, I just did what you suggested and actually got it a little better, but it's still almost too bassy. I'll do some more fiddling tomorrow once I find my other Monster cables.
                            MK2 Jetta > M3

Comment

Cool dude, it's all about buidling the tone you want from beginning to end, if you're adding something that makes the highs sing but muddies the Middles you gotta change it from the source
                              dirty30

Comment

Working...
                              X