No announcement yet.

Hiking Supplies / white mountains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

definitely make sure you take warm/waterproof clothes as the weather up there changes super quick and can get extremely cold and windy on the ridgelines. Mt. Washington is a cool spot, i found tuckermans to be a bit more interesting. The huts are cool if you plan a hut trip since all you need for bedding is sheets and a pillow case, and then just lunch for the day. Even if you don't have reservations the huts i've stayed in they let hikers just sleep in the dining room or where ever theres space for like 20 bucks. Trail mix is a must as well, good with every meal, oatmeal too. Light weight and packs a lot of energy. Oh, and bring a bowl, travel mug and a spoon.
    Last edited by bangarang; 08-21-2010, 08:56 PM.
    1981 CJ8 - old & dumb
    1988 Cherokee Limited - The Real Cherokee
    2001 TJ Sport - DD

Comment

Originally posted by offrdyj87 View Post

These things are sweet, went in one the first time I hiked Mt. Washington. Also, theres a lake/pond right next to one of these cabins next to the summit of Mt. Washington thats fawking freezing cold, cool to check out.

Another cool thing, somewhere on Base Rd. I think it's called, the road that runs behind the Mt. Washington Hotel if I remember correctly, there's a cool place to cliff jump. Granted it might be cold, still badass nonetheless.
      99 XJ - 5.5" RE, 35's, 4.56's, d30/d44 locked, bumpers

Comment

Lake of the clodus hut i think its called, ive seen the weather change there in a matter of 4 minutes, crazy.. but awesome views and awesome experience
        1981 CJ8 - old & dumb
        1988 Cherokee Limited - The Real Cherokee
        2001 TJ Sport - DD

Comment

Originally posted by rweaver138 View Post

Another cool thing, somewhere on Base Rd. I think it's called, the road that runs behind the Mt. Washington Hotel if I remember correctly, there's a cool place to cliff jump. Granted it might be cold, still badass nonetheless.
          upper ammusonouc falls
          www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

x2 on a Kelty tent, I used to backpack out west for 2 or 3 weeks at a time. go hike mt washinton (don't drive up it) and you can get some alright food at the AMC cabin at the lake in the clouds, on your way to the top put a 6 pack in the lake and then when you get back on your way down it's freezing cold, and be prepared to drop behind rocks when the weather changes in 2 sec, it can get pretty hairy on the mt face above the tree line
            1992 xj Briarwood
            Disconnect d30 5.13 Super 35 kit 5.13 36x14x18 TSL's
            Welded front and rear
            13' LED roof lights
            Disco ball
            Truck nuts
            Spinners

Comment

def tuckermans ravine!!!
              99 XJ on tons and 40s....

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post

In a few weeks im doing a 4 day camping vacation to the white mountains. Im in need of an itinerary. What are some good spots to check out? I just did some of the Pemi Loop (Mount Flume, Lincoln, Lafayette, etc) and was absolutely amazing! It was my first trip to the Whites and was well worth it. Be prepared for some very intense hiking though. I am in good shape, hike almost every weekend and go backpacking when I can and maintaining a 2mph pace was difficult.

Im looking for some good DAY HIKES and places to eat and visit, seeing as im bringing my girl with me. Staying at a hut (not shelter) is really a unique experience, but really cool at the same time! Good food, great sleeping accomidations, good fellowship too. Greenleaf Hut was very cool.

Also Im looking for a supplies list of stuff to get for day hiking and camping.
                so far i need to get: If you find gear you need, check www.spadout.com as it searches many sites for the best prices on gear. REI is where I shop mostly. Great prices, 100% satisfaction guarantee, super customer service, plenty of quality reviews online too.
                • A good tent (need recomendations) Do you just need something for this trip or something for future trips? I have a Kelty Teton 2 and I like it but the rainfly is small. It sets up very fast and is inexpensive.
                • Led lantern Princeton Tec or Petzl are where its at. The more lumens the better.
                • First aid pack Make up your own. Bandaids, asprins, prep pads, etc.
                • 2 person hamock I dont know of any
                • 2 person sleeping bag When buying a bag, you can zip two together. Just be sure one get one with left hand zipper and one right hand zipper. My girlfriend and I have REI Nooksack UL 35's and are under 2 pounds each.
                • tarp (to provide cover for picnic table) Extra weight not needed...where are you going to find picnic tables while backpacking?
                • sleeping mat Thermarest Z-Lite a lite, comfortable and small in comparison to other sleeping pads. It cant be beat for around $40. Other closed cell pads are less expensive but may not be durable or as comfortable. You can always go with an inflatable sleeping pad. I used to use them but they are extra weight and take time to set up and take down...they do take up very little space in your pack though.
                • camp axe / good knife (i have these)

Anything else recomended??? Im going to cabelas / REI tomorrow morning to stock up and i dont mind buying nice stuff as i want to hike/camp more often
                Purchasing a bladder for your pack is a very good investment. At least a two liter bladder I'd say. Will you be needing water purification tabs? Katadyn makes some good ones (not sure what they are called but you can get them at Dicks Sporting Goods and they come in a tin sheet). I would also say bring an emergency blanket (cheap, light and could save your life in an emergency. They can even be used as a shelter. Need light silverware on the trail? Taco Bell sporks are extremely light and are very durable and dont break when bent.
                88 YJ...kinda. Clayton Hard Arms, V8, 1 tons w/Detroits, twin sticked T-18/NP205, Irok's, MasterCrafts, fuel cell, multi-colored

Comment

Working...
                X