Hiking Supplies / white mountains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiking Supplies / white mountains

I've got a few questions for all you hiking vets. I'm kind of a hiking newb, though i go for local walks though the woods around me (multiple hour) but i never do anything in the mountains.

In a few weeks im doing a 4 day camping vacation to the white mountains. Im in need of an itinerary. What are some good spots to check out? We are staying in the Crawford notch campground but im willing to travle in the area for some good stuff. Im looking for some good DAY HIKES and places to eat and visit, seeing as im bringing my girl with me.

Also Im looking for a supplies list of stuff to get for day hiking and camping.
    so far i need to get:
    • A good tent (need recomendations)
    • Led lantern
    • First aid pack
    • 2 person hamock
    • 2 person sleeping bag
    • tarp (to provide cover for picnic table)
    • sleeping mat
    • camp axe / good knife (i have these)

Anything else recomended??? Im going to cabelas / REI tomorrow morning to stock up and i dont mind buying nice stuff as i want to hike/camp more often
    "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

i have a kelty grand mesa tent and it's the best tent i've ever used. super fast to put up and take down and very very dry. if you remember the pouring rain at rausch last year it was in a river all night and i not a drop of water got inside
    I drive a Datsun

Comment

just remember the lighter the better. You might wanna look at a nice pack to hold all your gear.
      4x4 Station Wagon...

Comment

i got a hennessy hammock and i absolutely love the thing. batteries for the lantern. gun. knife. lots o booze
        1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
        2001 wj tbd
        1974 5 ton

Comment

headlamp = best 10 bucks ever spent.
          Is it egg nog season yet?

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
            [*]2 person hamock [*]2 person sleeping bag
            If you can get those two to work, I will give you a high five next time I see you for your balance skills.
            "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
            It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
              i have a kelty grand mesa tent and it's the best tent i've ever used. super fast to put up and take down and very very dry. if you remember the pouring rain at rausch last year it was in a river all night and i not a drop of water got inside
              good look! i'll check that tent out tomorrow, 4 person right? I have a shity 2 person, i want one with some room

Originally posted by Magilla View Post
              i got a hennessy hammock and i absolutely love the thing. batteries for the lantern. gun. knife. lots o booze
              check, check, check and CHECK. my kahr p380 fits nicely in small pack

EDIT: Just checked, NH doesn't honor CT permit

Originally posted by Riot View Post
              check

Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed View Post
              If you can get those two to work, I will give you a high five next time I see you for your balance skills.
              i plan on sleeping at least one night in the hammock, i expect high fives to be awarded
              Last edited by grundlepunch; 08-20-2010, 01:27 PM.
              "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

yes i got the 4 person. it sleeps 2 comfortably with room for gear or even 3. 4 obviously is it's intention but would be tight
                I drive a Datsun

Comment

You might want to look into taking a hike to one of the White Mountain huts along the Appalachian Trail. I took a week long backpacking trip last year and stopped at one of these huts every night. If you wanted to spend the night you need to make reservations, but if you didn't they are still really cool just to visit. They serve you dinner and all that, too. Here is the web site in case you're interested: http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/whit...huts/index.cfm

1987 YJ
                  I'm still learning...

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
                    • 2 person sleeping bag
                    • sleeping mat

you can zip 2 regular sized sleeping bags together just need to be the same size zipper/similar overall size.

and air mattress. best $20 ever spent (twin) and best $40 spent (double) probably weigh about as much as a good mat (especially one for 2 people) and take up less room.

Originally posted by Riot View Post
                    indeed
                    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Be prepared for summer temps and winter temps at all times, weather changes really fast and if your not near shelter it can get cold really fast.

Also ask steve (wide j) about hiking stuff, he does alot of it.
                      Lady bugs don't like it when you paint stripes on them

2005 WK Limited 4.7 V8, Slightly Modded

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 2.8L CRD Diesel Stock

Comment

very true kyle. if you're going to be getting up there in elevation, mt washington can drop drastically in temperature
                        I drive a Datsun

Comment

Seriously. Mt Washington has snow until the beginning of July usually, then its gone for a few weeks and starts to come back before haloween.
                          Lady bugs don't like it when you paint stripes on them

2005 WK Limited 4.7 V8, Slightly Modded

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 2.8L CRD Diesel Stock

Comment

Where the fawk is dillon. He needs to be in here
                            Hench

ATM anyone?

Comment

i hiked mt washington in march. there was 3 feet of snow and -30* with 60mph gusts at the base of tuckerman
                              I drive a Datsun

Comment

Working...
                              X