Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Lake (elevation 9,665 feet) partially frozen

the switchbacks and more switchbacks
    You can see the straight stretch if you look closely from the picture above in the first picture below.

Beartooth Pass (elevation 10,947) looking back towards Wyoming

Beartooth Pass (elevation 10,947) looking forward into Montana

the Bear's tooth

Snow piled up a little high for June 21st I'd say.

snow and the Bear's tooth

Last edited by BOX; 06-23-2012, 03:25 AM.
    99 Dub Ya Jay

My Adventures Thread
    http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15148

Comment

I'm envious of your travels , Looks like and awsome trip!

Comment

Only in a Jeep.
        sigpic
        Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

After driving for a few hundred more yards I found these 3 fellows. My first time seeing mountain goats in the wild. I was still around 10,700 feet of elevation. The Bear's tooth still visible in the background.

I drove less than a mile more and came to the Gardner Lake pullout and trailhead (elevation 10,536).

Gardner Lake visible in the first picture.

Looking towards Montana and the Bear's tooth in the second picture.

After driving for a couple more miles I stopped at a pullout and snapped these two pictures.

The road that lies ahead heading towards Montana in the first picture.

Looking back into Wyoming in the second picture.

I drove for a few more miles and came to the international summer ski/snowboard camp (elevation 10,737). The lift wasn't running when I was there, but spoke with someone that saw people skiing and snowboarding earlier in the day.

A few more pictures from near the ski/snowboard camp area. I'm pretty sure that massive ledge of snow was a couple hundred feet or so high to give some scale to these pictures.

Spotted this lake a few miles after the ski/snowboard camp area. Not sure if I was in Wyoming anymore because Montana came up quickly after the ski area, which means I was in Custer National Forest. The third national forest of the day after Gallatin and Shoshone.

The switchbacks heading down the Beartooth Highway towards Red Lodge, MT. Population 2,125. Elevation 5,550. Almost 5,400 feet difference between the top of the Beartooth Highway and Red Lodge, MT in less than 30 miles. I'm guessing almost a 4000 feet difference in less than 15 miles where the switchbacks were really hairy.

99 Dub Ya Jay

My Adventures Thread

Comment

Heading down the mountain I next came to Rock Creek Vista Point (elevation 9,190 feet). There must have been 25 cars parked at the rest area and I didn't see a single person other than me walk to the end of the point. It was paved and wheelchair accessible even..... kind of sad how lazy people are these days. I'm also told that over 95 percent of the people who visit Yellowstone National Park do not go more than 200 feet from the road. Only about .001 percent of the park is visible from the road. Some pictures from the point below.

Feeding any animals in Yellowstone National Park is strictly forbidden, but I wasn't in Yellowstone and everyone else was doing it. They liked my nuts. The park service actually stipulates that people stay 25 yards away from all animals and 100 yards away from wolves and grizzly or black bears.

After 15 more miles or so I reached Red Lodge, MT and decided to check out Red Lodge Ski Resort. I drove for 2 or 3 miles outside of the town and then hit a dirt road heading up in elevation for 2 or 3 miles before coming to a gate. Apparently Red Lodge Ski Resort is run by Custer National Forest..... kind of like Belleayre Ski Resort in New York.

By the time I got back into Red Lodge, MT it was almost 8pm and I had left Canyon Village, WY at 11am. I had dinner at a dive bar called "Snag Bar" which had been open for over 100 years. I left Red Lodge a few minutes before 10pm and there was still a little bit of light left and arrived back in Canyon Village, WY around 130am exhausted after a great day. The day before was the longest day of the year. So around 16 hours and 54 minutes of sunlight.
            Last edited by BOX; 06-24-2012, 12:29 PM.
            99 Dub Ya Jay

My Adventures Thread

Comment

CHIPMUNK.
              sigpic
              Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Here is a map of the Beartooth highway from Cooke City, MT to Red Lodge, MT.

http://www.beartoothhighway.com/pdf/...findingMap.pdf
                99 Dub Ya Jay

My Adventures Thread

Comment

That's sad that people don't go further into the park. What a waste of a trip to see so little of it.

Awesome views!
                  2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                  MK2 Jetta > M3
                  Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

wow...i feel like i just got a guided tour of one of Americas best treasures...thank you for the pictures and going into the detail you did....what you did is something most people will never get to do in their lifetime...i hope one day to do you what you have done and get to experience nature at its rawest form...absolutely breathtaking pictures that really put ya right there...

i truly envy you , this was a dream trip of mine...glad to see ya had no problems with the jeep,lol...would kinda suck to break down out there...

btw...what was estimated cost of trip and time spent ? how many miles did ya drive?

thanks for the thread, definitely worth reading again just to see the pics
                    99 XJ on tons and 40s....

Comment

Originally posted by kracker View Post
                      what was estimated cost of trip and time spent ? how many miles did ya drive?
                      From my place in Canyon Village, WY to the bar I ate dinner at in Red Lodge, MT is 115 miles. From the northeast entrance of Yellowstone National Park in Cooke City, MT to Red Lodge, MT is 68 miles, which was all the Beartooth Highway. I probably drove more like 135 miles on the way there because of the dirt road side trips I made. So..... around 250 miles round trip.

From Canyon Village to Red Lodge took me around 7 1/2 hrs, I ate / walked around Red Lodge for 2 hrs and 3 1/2 hrs to get back to Canyon Village. Around 13 hours in total.

I spent about $55 on gas and $20 on food. $75 in total.
                      99 Dub Ya Jay

My Adventures Thread

Comment

Originally posted by BOX View Post
                        Made a camera thread once that I was planning on bumping. Trying to get pictures of wildlife is pretty hard with my 5 year old 3X zoom Canon.

yeah.... I'm too lazy to do that. What camera would you suggest?
                        get an entry level DSLR from canon with a wide angle lens and a telephoto lens
                        - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                        or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                        Originally posted by DizzDizz
                        aliens probed my husband

Comment

Doug this looks amazing. Lets do vegas though ok.
                          Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

i gotta plan a road trip out that way and check out those views for myself
                            2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
                            1945 Willys-Overland CJ2A

Comment

Cool, Doug.

Originally posted by Lycaon View Post
                              i gotta plan a road trip out that way and check out those views for myself
                              Don't do it an XJ.
                              Is it egg nog season yet?

Comment

Awesome trip Doug!
                                Ryan
                                2013 Wrangler

Comment

Working...
                                X