Rocker Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocker Replacement

For those that have replaced their rockers with steel tubing or whatever, could you post some pics of the process to give me a head start?

Process:
    Cut out old rusty rocker panels
    Fine some tube stock
    cut to desired length
    Cut 2 or three more pieces to be used for support, the longer you make these, the further your new slider will stick out
    Weld supports to slider
    Weld some plates to frame end of supports
    Weld and or bolt plates to frame

Comment

Sounds so easy. I'll find out here in the next month.

Thanks

Comment

some people (most people) don't like the look of just cutting out the rockers. well mine were a lost cause. They are high clearance and work well, and I think they look a lot better than rust holes

Comment

actually dude those look quite good in my opinion

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

I still require more info, I'd like to do this but if I cut my rockers out I wanna make sure I can replace them
            dirty30

Comment

step 1: cut
              step 2: weld

www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

what happens if my weldin skills dont=great?
                dirty30

Comment

a 100 lb hunk of metal falls off at 70 mph on the highway

my passenger side one is about 2/3 welded, i ran out of gas when i was doing it and never got around to finishing the job

Comment

Where did u weld it Sam? Do you have close up pics?
                    -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

its just welded to sheet metal. alot more solid than i thought it would be. but i want to tie them into the frame

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
                        its just welded to sheet metal. alot more solid than i thought it would be. but i want to tie them into the frame
                        when you do this, post some pics, thats the parts i was hoping to get some more info on
                        dirty30

Comment

Figuring it out is where all the fun is.
                          There is no right or wrong way to do something like this just do what you think is right.

If you are really concerned about your welding then I would practice or find someone to do it for you.

What's the worst that can happen a rust rocker panel isn't supporting anything. I'm sure whatever you do will be better then it is right now.
                          That's the best part of having a welder you can cut it out and add it back.

I can do the job for you but I don't work for free.

I'm actually doing one this weekend. He is going with 2X4 box tubing it is not going to stick out at all. My theory is if it isn't there you cannot hit it.
                          It will not matter if he is running without doors or he might trim the bottom of the doors off.

I can send you pictures when it is done.

It's the XJ with the lifted gas tank (which raises the rear shocks), Rotated T-case with a jig I made so to run a completely flat skid plate, bumpers tight to the body, Notch and plated stock lower control arms longer shocks on the front. Only 2 inch spacer lift and 30" tires but has the ground clearance of a lot taller Jeep with a lower CG.
                          So if anyone else is looking for more ground clearance, let me know.
                          Last edited by customcreationsllc; 02-24-2009, 07:58 AM.
                          RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                          www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                          Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

i spose your right, and if your doing the rockers this weekend could i swing by and take a gander, im right in middlebury and im guessing watching it done will give me ideas how im gonna do it
                            dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post

It's the XJ with the lifted gas tank (which raises the rear shocks), Rotated T-case with a jig I made so to run a completely flat skid plate, bumpers tight to the body, Notch and plated stock lower control arms longer shocks on the front. Only 2 inch spacer lift and 30" tires but has the ground clearance of a lot taller Jeep with a lower CG.
                              So if anyone else is looking for more ground clearance, let me know.
                              sounds like my build. 3" and 37's ,but with everything tucked up.

Comment

Working...
                              X