"Adulting"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hydra View Post
    I feel like the act of adulting is something that should be done, and executed as one naturally grows.

But, I don't think it should be used as an excuse for why you can't do the things you want.

It irks me that Pete feels like we're pointing fingers at him (really it's at Alex{I KID}) and other people who truly are making sacrifices for their kids or new goals. That's not what it's about.

This discussion is really just railing against the idea that to become ADULT, one must excise the "frivolous" pursuits of your younger years from your life.
    My point is that the idea you are railing on is more of a reality than I think some of you realize. Those frivolous pursuits are given up when, at least my definition of, "adulting" happens whether you like it or not. So, you can work your butt off and get yourself in a position to be able to do both, or you have to make sacrifices for awhile and not make posts about wanting to buy a new XJ because it makes you look silly on an Internet forum where they will call you out on it.
    P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
    2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
    OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Being an adult is getting to choose what you sacrifice and what you choose to do when you 'grow up'. You don't need to give anything up if you don't want to, you make that choice, the problem is a lot of fucking people complain like children about making those adult choices and then rail on others for not having made them yet or choosing not to.

If you so quickly give something up, did you ever really enjoy it to begin with?
      sigpic
      Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
        You don't need to give anything up if you don't want to

thats debatable and again why I feel like if you haven't been in that certain situation where you've had to give something up you don't want to it's tough to have an opinion on it. Everybody's situation is different and being in different stages of your life may warrant you having to give something up in order to make room for something else. Having kids, paying for a wedding, having a mortgage, etc. It's just what happens. You may go through life and not give anything up. But, I would think that would be the heavy minority.

If you so quickly give something up, did you ever really enjoy it to begin with?

So are you saying I didn't really enjoy my jeep because I'm selling it now to fund other "adulting" priorities?

Again, I don't see this as a personal attack on me. I'm just playing devils advocate because I'm currently In the opposing situation.

Regardless, that is not the issue at hand here...
        Last edited by Pedro; 08-05-2016, 01:28 PM.
        P8R

OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Just don't be like Patrono and sell your jeep and then cry about it on facebook saying things like "These jeep memories are going to be the death of me". Waaahhh

That's right, Alex. Stop being a little bitch and buy a Jeep.
          sigpic

Comment

True story. That guy sucks
            I drive a Datsun

Comment

I read through page 1. Got bored.

I'm adulting hard as fuck.
              Bought a house
              Didn't sell the Jeep
              Getting married
              And am going to OER

Hench

ATM anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Henchman View Post

Bought a house
                Didn't sell the Jeep
                Getting married
                And am going to OER

Just you wait until the screamin babies come!

I miss you.
                P8R

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
                  Just don't be like Patrono and sell your jeep and then cry about it on facebook saying things like "These jeep memories are going to be the death of me". Waaahhh

That's right, Alex. Stop being a little bitch and buy a Jeep.
                  I'm posting that on fb tomorrow when this guy drives away with my jeep...
                  P8R

Comment

I love absinthe, but gave it up because it makes me right strangers in the streets of Florence...

I sacrificed wearing shorts to work so I could sit behind a desk and do typey picturey things.
                    dirty30

Comment

I are adult?
                      dirty30

Comment

I sacrificed the ability to talk to certain people in my life. #adulting
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Henchman View Post

Bought a house
                          Didn't sell the Jeep
                          Getting married
                          And am going to OER

This is what they call adult in LIKE. A. BOSS.
                          Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

Comment

im reading through this thread again and what i keep circling back on is that it almost feels as though "adulting" is some sort of competition. who can "adult" the hardest? does it make you better than someone else your age because you can say i have X, Y and Z while the other person does not?

it's all about perspective. while you may have things that you feel have taken you to the "adulting" part of your life, someone else may have 10 other things going on that you don't, but they are "adulting" just as hard.

everyone is entitled to their own opinions and their own definitions, and everyone is going to "adult" in their own unique way. just stop using it as an excuse. you're an adult. you pick and choose the things you want to do in life. nobody else.
                            mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
                            2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
                            and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

So then adulting breaks down to sacrifice?

Seems both fair, and vague, enough for me.
                              Is it egg nog season yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Lawn Guyland View Post
                                im reading through this thread again and what i keep circling back on is that it almost feels as though "adulting" is some sort of competition. who can "adult" the hardest? does it make you better than someone else your age because you can say i have X, Y and Z while the other person does not?

it's all about perspective. while you may have things that you feel have taken you to the "adulting" part of your life, someone else may have 10 other things going on that you don't, but they are "adulting" just as hard.

everyone is entitled to their own opinions and their own definitions, and everyone is going to "adult" in their own unique way. just stop using it as an excuse. you're an adult. you pick and choose the things you want to do in life. nobody else.

What she said... Everyone adults in different ways. You want to sell your Jeep and buy a different one? go for it. You wanna keep it and figure out how to afford having it? Go for it. It is certainly not a competition and i agree 100% that it is all about perspective of what you want your life to be. Never let life get in the way of doing what you love (even though there are times where you don't have a choice). It blows my mind when people live their lives because they feel that that is the path that they think they HAVE to take to "become an adult. Like i said, live the life you wanna live, just don't complain and make excuses about why you aren't living the life you want and don't EXPECT it to happen if you don't put in the time and effort.

Another extremely valid definition of adulting is that blowies become non existent and the occasional handy takes its place.

wait, thats just me? womp

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Working...
                                X