97 +...Dodge Dakota... the good, the bad, the ugly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 +...Dodge Dakota... the good, the bad, the ugly

I know dodge's of this vintage weren't know for gloriousness.

However, I've been thinking of different vehicles that are relatively inexpensive to purchase that have good starting points for a wheeler/camping/expedition rig.

The plus's I see of these are:
    • full four doors
    • available v8
    • bed
    • plentiful
    • not terrible looks
    • frame
    • can fit 35's fairly easily
    • frame
    • its a truck (i currently do not have a truck so Lowes trips kind of suck.)

the minus's i see are:
    • tranny most likely sucks (giggity)
    • not a lot of aftermarket support (i can fabricate though)
    • IFS with no long travel available ( id prolly sas any way)
    • 131" wheel base... seems perty long (im used to the cherokee's 101")

pics for attention

Last edited by SupermanIce-J; 08-03-2016, 03:33 PM.
    2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
    • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
    • 4.0/42rle/np241or
    • 5.13's
    • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
    • 33” BFG KO2s

I think the tranny is a huge stepping stone issue. Although honestly, I have no first hand experience. An ex-coworker of mine bought a 2001 (? I think) and hasn't had a single major issue with it and he's now up there past 180k I think. He's also anal about every aspect of car maintenance.

I think your reasoning is pretty solid. Although I almost would rather get an S-10 with the 4.3, or even a Yota with the 5jz-whatever it is V6. Actually, I would go Yota, if overall bed capacity wasn't a true concern
    dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra View Post
      I think the tranny is a huge stepping stone issue. Although honestly, I have no first hand experience. An ex-coworker of mine bought a 2001 (? I think) and hasn't had a single major issue with it and he's now up there past 180k I think. He's also anal about every aspect of car maintenance.

I think your reasoning is pretty solid. Although I almost would rather get an S-10 with the 4.3, or even a Yota with the 5jz-whatever it is V6. Actually, I would go Yota, if overall bed capacity wasn't a true concern
      They have a 45rfe transmission... dont wj's have that??

I totally agree with you on the s-10 or toyota tacoma. they are solid truck that are definitely worth mentioning... except price point. the 4 door s-10's are probably around 3-4k more than the dakota and the 4 door tacoma's are freaking rediculous.

2003 TJ Rubicon
      • 4.0/42rle/np241or
      • 5.13's
      • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

Originally posted by SupermanIce-J View Post
        They have a 45rfe transmission... dont wj's have that??

A quick search says yay
        dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra View Post

A quick search says yay
          lol... I searched right after i posted that.

I guess the difference here being wieght... a wj curb weight is around 3700 lbs vs the dakota's 4200-4600.

2003 TJ Rubicon
          • 4.0/42rle/np241or
          • 5.13's
          • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

Yes wj has that trans. I blew one up in fact haha.

I've been toying with the same ideas. Dakota, Tacoma, S10, Ranger, Frontier.. looking for a daily or not? Budget?
            I drive a Datsun

Comment

something about a SAS'd Dakota just says 'no' for me
              - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
              or am asians pants not a read end lol.
              Originally posted by DizzDizz
              aliens probed my husband

Comment

I could make comments on this, but I really dont think my 2 door 2WD Dakota counts with what you're looking for
                Amherst or Bust!
                19 JL

Comment

Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
                  Yes wj has that trans. I blew one up in fact haha.

I've been toying with the same ideas. Dakota, Tacoma, S10, Ranger, Frontier.. looking for a daily or not? Budget?
                  Nothing right now... Eventually it'll be a third vehicle. I'm not getting rid of the crosstrek!

I think the term is "adulting"... Closing on a new home at the end of the month, getting married in October, new job, etc. a lot of life changes that are currently moving my fun funds elsewhere...
                  Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                  something about a SAS'd Dakota just says 'no' for me
                  Go on...

Originally posted by Odinthor View Post
                  I could make comments on this, but I really dont think my 2 door 2WD Dakota counts with what you're looking for
                  At this point any info is good. Plus SIS is slow.

2003 TJ Rubicon
                  • 4.0/42rle/np241or
                  • 5.13's
                  • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

Go on...
                    I think combining a wheeler, and a mild exploration rig into one is a mistake personally. With that said, 35s and a SAS'd Dakota sounds more like a wheeler toy.
                    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                    Originally posted by DizzDizz
                    aliens probed my husband

Comment

I put 10k on an 03 dakota ext cab 4x4 with a 4.8 and an automatic last summer when the injection pump in my car shit the bed. I averaged about 14 mpg on the highway with the AC cranking, slightly better with it off. This particular truck was an old guy cruiser, and only had 30k on it when I started driving it. However, the frame already looked like it had 120k. But being an old guy cruiser it just sat 90% of the time, often on grass. But, it rode nice, made good power and didn't give me any problems.

This being said, most of these trucks that I've seen are rust buckets. Rockers, wheel wells, cab corners, all the usual spots. I was glad I never had to get under the one I was driving. The body was pretty clean but everything was covered in that thick scaly rust like you see on 20 year old boat anchors.

Also there's no point in buying one with a V6. I was looking to buy one for work and the fuel milage was maybe 1-2 mpgs apart between a v6 and v8.
                      1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                      1999 sierra
                      1967 M725 Big and Slow
                      -Dan

Comment

I think combining a wheeler, and a mild exploration rig into one is a mistake personally. With that said, 35s and a SAS'd Dakota sounds more like a wheeler toy.
                        Agreed. Max on an expedition pickup should be like 3" on 33s. Stock ifs suspension geometry. You're gonna want to drive it places, not chase down death wobble and fix broken shit
                        I drive a Datsun

Comment

gotcha. that makes sense. A little too much "non-oem" ish stuff that could be hard to source on an expedition adventure.
                          Originally posted by wannabejeep View Post
                          I put 10k on an 03 dakota ext cab 4x4 with a 4.8 and an automatic last summer when the injection pump in my car shit the bed. I averaged about 14 mpg on the highway with the AC cranking, slightly better with it off. This particular truck was an old guy cruiser, and only had 30k on it when I started driving it. However, the frame already looked like it had 120k. But being an old guy cruiser it just sat 90% of the time, often on grass. But, it rode nice, made good power and didn't give me any problems.

This being said, most of these trucks that I've seen are rust buckets. Rockers, wheel wells, cab corners, all the usual spots. I was glad I never had to get under the one I was driving. The body was pretty clean but everything was covered in that thick scaly rust like you see on 20 year old boat anchors.

Also there's no point in buying one with a V6. I was looking to buy one for work and the fuel milage was maybe 1-2 mpgs apart between a v6 and v8.
                          I think anything of this vintage is going to have some form of rust... I didnt really think about that though.

And most definitely on the v8. I wasn't even considering a 6'er
                          Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
                          Agreed. Max on an expedition pickup should be like 3" on 33s. Stock ifs suspension geometry. You're gonna want to drive it places, not chase down death wobble and fix broken shit
                          I guess in my head i was thinking that if it didnt have long travel options that a solid axle would be the next best thing. but looking into IFS lifts for this vintage dakota is like looking at redneck mudboggers paradise. torsion cranks, body lifts and lift blocks.

2003 TJ Rubicon
                          • 4.0/42rle/np241or
                          • 5.13's
                          • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

At this point any info is good. Plus SIS is slow.
                            Okay. My family bought it new in 98, twas a 2 door regular cab SLT, 2WD V6 standard bed length. It was used by my Dad till my brother got his license in 2000, then my brother drove it for two years until he went to college, at which point I drove it from 2002 through until 2014 when I traded it in for the Jeep.

That includes the 8 months I was living out in Colorado (and the subsequent drive there and back)

In that time, we replaced the transmission once; I dont remember what year that was (I want to say 2007 or so). That was really the only major mechanical issue we had with it until I traded it in.
                            Amherst or Bust!
                            19 JL

Comment

Friend of mine had this for a long time. At a milder state (37s?) drove to CO from Rochester NY and wheeled it for like a week and drove it home.

97 XJ.

Comment

Working...
                              X