Upgrade Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade Advice?

Hello old friends... Its been some time since Ive been around these parts and I apologize, life has gotten the best of me for a few years.

I need the experts buried in the sis forum for some advice... With plans to expand the family on the horizon I am looking to upgrade my 97 TJ to an LJ. Yes if anyone is the market for my tj let me know. So here is the dilemma, get an LJ with 80-90K or hold out and find a lj rubicon with more than likely more miles 120k or so. Is 120k something to be fearful of?

My plans are simple compared to the legends of sis. I still try and wheel at least once a year, and would lift it with 33s right off the bat. My plan is to make this a forever Jeep to get the kiddies into wheeling. With a reg LJ i would have to invest some cash to get to that point but as its more a street jeep, its not that bad.

What would SIS do?
    Last edited by Calabrate2; 09-18-2017, 08:21 AM.
    Don't Panic

I wouldn't worry about that kind of mileage. LJ Rubi's are just typically $15k or more. Low mileage ones are $20k+ easily in good condition. So as long as it's in the budget go for a Rubi! It's also the rare factor that makes it cooler and you can easy throw on a small lift and 35's or 33's and have an extremely capable rig for family wheelin.

However, all LJ's were a 44 rear so you won't have issues with the factory axle set up up to 35's. But you also lose a 4:1 case, 4.10 gears, lockers, and all the other goodies that come with a Rubi.

For a turn key weekend warrior wheeler, I would wait it out for the right Rubi.

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Originally posted by CumminsJeep View Post
      I wouldn't worry about that kind of mileage. LJ Rubi's are just typically $15k or more. Low mileage ones are $20k+ easily in good condition. So as long as it's in the budget go for a Rubi! It's also the rare factor that makes it cooler and you can easy throw on a small lift and 35's or 33's and have an extremely capable rig for family wheelin.

However, all LJ's were a 44 rear so you won't have issues with the factory axle set up up to 35's. But you also lose a 4:1 case, 4.10 gears, lockers, and all the other goodies that come with a Rubi.

I will second this motion... if you don’t plan on tons and crazy stuff a rubicon is hard to beat for a mild wheeler.
      2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
      • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
      • 4.0/42rle/np241or
      • 5.13's
      • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
      • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

Why not just get an economical camry
        dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra View Post
          Why not just get an economical kia optima
          Fixed.
          P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
          2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
          OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

^^^ Truly, actually fixed
            dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by CumminsJeep View Post
              This
              2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
              1945 Willys-Overland CJ2A

Comment

thanks team. I have an 05 LJ rubihara sitting the garage. Super clean from tx with 112k.
                Don't Panic

Comment

Sweet find!
                  2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                  MK2 Jetta > M3
                  Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

so where is the tj?
                    Is it egg nog season yet?

Comment

Sold the tj this November to help finance. The wife and I, well I, wanted to upgrade for more space reforestation life gets complicated with any new additions.

It went to a good home. A young girls first car purchase, on her own and she wanted a manual... I say cheers.
                      Last edited by Calabrate2; 01-11-2018, 09:58 PM. Reason: Drinking/ ipad
                      Don't Panic

Comment

Working...
                      X