Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could do it ALL over again. (XJ Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
    Your Matrix memes are stupid.
    Thanks, Dawg.
    P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
    2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
    OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Originally posted by CumminsJeep View Post
      My thoughts based on everything I've replaced over the years. I'm sure I'm missing some:

- Exhaust Manifold is a must.
      - Fully redo cooling system if over 100k miles - Radiator, water pump, thermostat, hoses, etc.
      - New OE Mopar sensors (Or a good aftermarket equivalent) - Crank, temp, oil pressure, throttle position, MAP, IAC, O2s, etc. Anything that can effect the running of the jeep. (Keep old as spares).
      - Keep a spare A/C compressor delete pulley with me at all times.
      - Check all rubber vacuum/EVAP lines for cracks.
      - Motor Mounts - Brown Dog Rubber if you must.
      - All fluids changed - Trans, diffs, t case, etc
      - D30/C8.25 are plenty fine for anything up to 33s. - 4.56 or 4.88 with 33s.
      - Chances are the valve cover gasket and oil filter adapter o ring leak. - replace them.
      - A good battery - Probably an AGM of sorts - Odyssey, Optima, DEKA, etc
      - New alternator - keep the old as a spare
      - New belt and idler pulleys.
      - Filters - No FRAM bullshit - NAPA Gold or Platinum.
      - Fuel Pump

Virtually replace anything that impacts performance, "Should" be replaced or has a higher failure rate after 100,000ish miles. I replaced a lot of stuff "just because" and I was never left stranded. I also never threw out anything that I replaced that was still "good."

And a little NAPA Know How
      Great reply. I like your idea of keeping the old "still good" stuff.

Funny thing is... I wanted to not do this stuff to the bro-lite and it is turning into it. At first my thoughts were to get it running and throw a cage in it. I didn't even think about re-doing the brakes because as i understand it in a race you hardly use brakes... i have all new rear brakes and just did the fronts this past weekend.

I don't want to tow the thing 4 hours away to have something fail on me...

Same thing applies to all my vehicles I buy (used). Unless i know something has been serviced (i.e new brakes, sensors, etc.) then i pretty much do a tune up with a cooling system rehash, a full fluid change on the entire drive train at a minimum.
      2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
      • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
      • 4.0/42rle/np241or
      • 5.13's
      • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
      • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

Originally posted by SupermanIce-J View Post
        Great reply. I like your idea of keeping the old "still good" stuff.

Funny thing is... I wanted to not do this stuff to the bro-lite and it is turning into it. At first my thoughts were to get it running and throw a cage in it. I didn't even think about re-doing the brakes because as i understand it in a race you hardly use brakes... i have all new rear brakes and just did the fronts this past weekend.

I don't want to tow the thing 4 hours away to have something fail on me...

Same thing applies to all my vehicles I buy (used). Unless i know something has been serviced (i.e new brakes, sensors, etc.) then i pretty much do a tune up with a cooling system rehash, a full fluid change on the entire drive train at a minimum.
        You just never know. I've seen too many times where a "new" part doesn't last more than a few weeks. If a part is a defect right out of the box it will fail either right away, or within the first few weeks anyway.

I never wanted to be stranded because of a sensor or something else stupid, especially out in the middle of the woods. I always kept a bin in the back of my jeep with everything from hose clamps to pulleys to sensors to a spare water pump and alternator. Call me paranoid...but when you need it and don't have it, you'll be singin a different tune. (quote Burt Gummer)

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
          Are you saying I'm less of a man because I don't want to bang up my brand new $35k JK that I need to work every day?
          No, that would make you a woman because I do exactly what you just said you don't wanna do
          mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
          2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
          and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

Is the body of the black xj still in good shape? Rust free? Going to scrap/part it or put to stock and sell? I ask because maybe it would be cheaper and easier to have a shop do a full motor swap and accessories on this thing to get it to 100%. Stock 4.0, 5.3, 40mpg 4cyl, whatever you want to do to it
            I drive a Datsun

Comment

Working...
            X