4.7 HO Gobbles Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.7 HO Gobbles Oil

I purposely pour oil into the gas for the majority of my vehicles, but I've never had a Jeep eat oil like my Overland. From a quick search it seems really common, but I'm not seeing smokey start-ups, not seeing any leaks. My only thought was maybe the PCV valve was clogged up??

Anyone have any thoughts? If it's inherit to these motors I guess I can live with it... but I'd lke to minimize the amount of spare oil I need to carry around if I can
    dirty30

Are you using synthetic?
    P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
    2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
    OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
      Are you using synthetic?
      Yarr
      dirty30

Comment

That'll do it. Did you switch or the previous owner? Classic JeepForum argument. One kid literally told me he buys ten qts of synthetic at a time because he burns 4 qts in between changes yet still feels the better protection is worth it.......
        Last edited by Pedro; 09-13-2016, 07:32 PM.
        P8R

OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Really? Dino oil to synthetic will cause that much? I guess I'll wait till next change and go back.
          dirty30

Comment

Not usually, but on a higher mileage engine it can. that same kid brags about how he floors everywhere and beats EVOs in races..... So there's that.

I don't buy the whole synthetic is better jargon. For a jeep 4.7 it's useless in my opinion. Just change the Dino oil every 3k miles or six months like it calls for. I'm just a big "Use what the dealer recommended" kinda person. They tested that engine and built it to use 5-30 conventional, that's what I'm using.

Synthetic is probably causing some burning, but could be other reasons too going along with it
            P8R

Comment

Synthetic will definitely do it in those. They typically have valve seal issues as well later on in their life which will add to the cause. My best luck with oil has always been with Valvoline Max Life High Mileage in a 10w-30 for my Jeeps

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Thanks dudes. I don't mind so much that it's burning oil, but at $10 a quart I'd rather not. I'll replace the PCV valves just for gigs
                dirty30

Comment

Working...
                X