XJ floor repair and rust prevention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ floor repair and rust prevention

stripped the inside out of my 99XJ because one of the door seals leaked during all that rain a few weeks ago and i found about 2-3in of water all along the pass side. carpet it out and being dried/cleaned so i can put it back in when i'm done.

as for the rot already there i know the only thing that can be done is to remove it and replace the metal, it's like cancer and will only spread.

now for rust and rot prevention what have people on here done?
    i've been told a few good coats of rustolium with a paint brush works well or similar product. has anyone use a lizard skin or similar product? i do realize this is a lifted XJ and not a cadilac but the sound deadening and heat control makes it sound like a good idea.... the $75 a gal or so makes me think.

thoughts?

what are those stick on silver pieces for? the metal under those is like new, wish they covered the entire floor in that shit. make this much easier

as i found it

after an hour or so of cleaning

"Second Skin" makes some cheaper spray or paint on stuff http://store.secondskinaudio.com/spe...udge-1-gallon/

http://www.lizardskin.com/ other stuff
    Last edited by sardo_67; 07-09-2013, 08:12 PM.

POR15 or similar product meant specifically to paint over rust. Or spray with rust inhibitor and paint with rustoleum. Dont bedline or anything that will only trap moisture and make it worse
    Dan.
    2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
    www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

that's what i've been told, now does the POR15 prevent further rust?

as for the sound deadener or ceramic spray on coatings not worth it? i am asking as someone else was saying it's worth doing, i just don't see why it's worth the $100+ when it's an XJ on 35s+. now my diesel Jetta on the other hand may be worth it.

Comment

Yes it does. POR15 reacts with rust, that is how it adheres. POR15= Paint over rust.
        I wouldnt worry much about sound deadener. Are you going to use the carpet? I can say that my bare floor gets pretty hot and it would be nice to have some sort of insulation on it.
        Dan.
        2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

I did the por15 first then rolled on bed liner over it . Its held up great over the last year. Floor does get very hot on the back passenger side. noise wise it ant that bad.

Comment

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.ph...#post245953758

Link to a thread my brother posted. Sums up what we are thinking about doing. I am not going to use the POR15 as its waaaaaay too much. I do like the 3M rubberizing spray. Has anyone else used that?

Comment

Undercoating traps moisture. You should NEVER undercoat over rust. Your floors will continue to rust underneath it. POR15 is what it is for a reason.
              Dan.

www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

I only bought a quart of por-15 for like $35 shipped and it was more than enough to do all my floors and still have some left over. Shit works great dry's rock hard.

Comment

Well I fixed the sections of the driver side floor and then sealed the entire thing up with some extreme dynamat I got from a local place at a good price. I'm probably just going to to the entire floor now.

The POR15 is nice stuff, my bro used it on his to finish up the floor he replaced.

Comment

I HATED not having carpet in my 95. My friends used to joke that you could put sand on the floor and make glass. It gets real hot in the summer and it was noisy.
                    Lady bugs don't like it when you paint stripes on them

2005 WK Limited 4.7 V8, Slightly Modded

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 2.8L CRD Diesel Stock

Comment

FWIW, when I was redoing my scamp I tried both por15 and rustbullet. I was much more impressed with how rustbullet went on and seemed to bond with the base metal. 5 years later and rustbullet seems to have done it's job.

Comment

Originally posted by harryhood View Post
                        FWIW, when I was redoing my scamp I tried both por15 and rustbullet. I was much more impressed with how rustbullet went on and seemed to bond with the base metal. 5 years later and rustbullet seems to have done it's job.
                        did you use both of the acids and prep cleaners in the POR15 kit or just clean the metal and paint it on?

to be honest.... unless you are going to be using the truck as a winter plow rig and have it packed with salt for half the year most of this stuff works fine. it's all in the prep work.

ive also heard no carpet is a HORRIBLE idea as it gets way way too hot in there, i noticed the over 1 inch of carpet and heat blanket stuff built into the stock carpet as i was pulling it out. there is def a reason for that.

Comment

I know I used the prep that i bought with the por 15,but I don't remember what it was exactly. It was 6 or 7 years ago.

Comment

Anyone have a good alternative to carpet? I'm replacing my floors in a couple weeks and was going to just Monstaline it, but not it doesn't seem like the best idea (it's my DD)
                            '95 Cherokee on 4.5" Frankenlift, 5-speed, 33" MTZs, and a shit load of miles

Comment

Working...
                            X