Something for you diesel leg humpers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something for you diesel leg humpers

Today I had to the 3000 hour overhaul on the ships auxiliary diesel generator. After 10 hours today, I pulled the injectors, cleaned them up, readjusted the popping pressure, and put them back in. Tomorrow I have to do the valve lash.

Anyway the engine is a Bergen (Rolls Royce) BRG-9, 4stroke, 5190 horse power, whose soul purpose in life is to turn a 3.5MW generator for auxiliary purposes meaning it hardly ever runs. In 10 years it has 2530hours on it. This was the first overhaul done on it so I was pretty excited to rip into her something I wanted to do since I was put in charge of her over 2 years ago.

Anyway, so here's some pics for you guys.

Opened up the valve covers and inspection doors to get at the high pressure pump, supply and return lines, and isolate the air start.

A dirty injector

Actually this is not bad at all even though you can't see the pintle holes too well

Cleaned up, the injector itself is about the length of my harm minus my hand.

Tip. Readjusted the popping pressure to 5510psi. They were all off by about 1200psi

One of 9 high pressure pumps

Rockers

Injector back home. After seeing it out, this gives a good idea of the size of the rockers and valve spring. I can easily stand on the rockers and my shoe doesn't overhang at all

Push-rod housing

The coolest part was starting the engine manually. Usually I do it from the operating computer but actually bringing the engine to full rack and pressing the air start is a awesome feeling. At about 300rpm the governor takes over control and maintains 700rpm. On load she sips about 30gallons of fuel per hour. Hope you like the pics!
    I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Very cool Jon. I'd love to play with a big diesel like that someday.

Comment

Originally posted by crosbike View Post
      I'd love to play with a big diesel like that someday.
      thats what she said
      mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
      2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
      and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

thats sick, makes a dmax look like a bitch
        98 Cherokee, D30/8.25 w/4.56s locked F/R -- 3 link front IRO springs rear with shackle relocation, one ton steering w/heims, hybrid cage under contruction, 33'' KM2's

Comment

Originally posted by netrachamp1853 View Post
          thats sick, makes a dmax look like a bitch
          That makes an N14 look like a bitch!..

Comment

Not to sound like a dick, but I don't believe that gallons per hour figure is right. That would only equate to around 350 horsepower, maybe 1500 foot pounds of torque depending on rpm. Unless that thing is basically not doing any work when it's under load which I can't imagine. Just food for thought. I would be interested to find out I that's a true number.

Comment

Originally posted by DrThunder View Post
              Not to sound like a dick, but I don't believe that gallons per hour figure is right. That would only equate to around 350 horsepower, maybe 1500 foot pounds of torque depending on rpm. Unless that thing is basically not doing any work when it's under load which I can't imagine. Just food for thought. I would be interested to find out I that's a true number.
              you sounded like a dick.. 30 does seem low though, thinking about it in the only terms i know, Cessna 180 burns 13 GPH @ about 160 MPH, with 230hp, at 2600 rpm
              but it is a diesel, which i know nothing about, and imagine that thing lugssssss

Comment

I meant to put offload sorry about that but good catch. Next time it goes on full load I'll check it out. It could be that the operating computers flow meters are off; we're due to get everything calibrated in dry dock and most, if not all of them, are inaccurate

Comment

Originally posted by ninetysix-ex-jay View Post
                  I meant to put offload sorry about that but good catch. Next time it goes on full load I'll check it out. It could be that the operating computers flow meters are off; we're due to get everything calibrated in dry dock and most, if not all of them, are inaccurate
                  he had to check the owners manual after you posted that
                  1998 Jetta GLX VR6 Raceland Optimo coilovers, c2 chip, CAI, straightpipe to magnaflow muffler, e-codes, billet alum. crackpipe. 42 draft designs SAI blockoff.

Comment

Originally posted by tjramplebump View Post
                    he had to check the owners manual after you posted that
                    Fuel consumption is never put in the manuals because the manufacturers don't know what they will be coupled up to or what time of fuel it will be used on

Comment

Working...
                    X