Low cog suspension setup, tips/tricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fullwidthxj191 View Post
    I'm sure most everyone realized this, but I figured I would bump it for fun.

Almost all of the topics you discuss relate to low COG setups in general, but there are a couple places where you speak more about XJ specific setups. I just figured I would point it out in case you wanted to edit something in the post, or in the title itself.

And while I'm in here, I'll give you a question/discussion. In a few places you mention how a flatter control arm angle will give superior droop compared to a taller suspension. Just playing the devils advocate here, but you seem to talk about suspension droop much more than compression. I see where a flatter control arm angle would give superior droop, but I also see where a more angled control arm (taller lift height) would allow much more uptravel. I'm just trying to add information to the topic, so feel free to school me on this subject.

Very good write up
    i dont care about the first thing. all i know is linked front ends and leaf rears and thats where my experience comes from.

ill add my insight on your question later
    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by fullwidthxj191 View Post

In a few places you mention how a flatter control arm angle will give superior droop compared to a taller suspension. Just playing the devils advocate here, but you seem to talk about suspension droop much more than compression. I see where a flatter control arm angle would give superior droop, but I also see where a more angled control arm (taller lift height) would allow much more uptravel.

if your suspension is tall you will generally have more compression, if your suspension is low you will generally have more droop. i dont really see much of a question here.

but you did give me an idea for another section.

Comment

you dont always need a tall lift for up-travel. if your links have clearance (mounted inboard the frame for example) you can get more up-travel. but you loose stability, the farther out links and shocks are mounter, the more control and stability you have.
        and if you have a well rounded rig you dont need that much up-travel. for example i run a 11" travel front shock, with only 4" up at ride hight and i use all of the travel (4" up and 7").
        from my perspective i think a rig will all up travel wont be able to flex as well because when you drive up on something the side that stays on the ground will want to pull the vehicle down to that side rather then flexing out. where as if you have more up travel you max out and the vehicle just puts its weight (traction) on the tire and will generally stay up of whatever your driving on
        "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

in your opinion sam is this anygood for the price?

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_689U.html
          #becauseJoeNitro

Comment

is this one that much better for the additional 200beans?

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...ode=sus_xj_kit
            #becauseJoeNitro

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNitro View Post
              in your opinion sam is this anygood for the price?

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_689U.html
              yes

Originally posted by JoeNitro View Post
              is this one that much better for the additional 200beans?

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...ode=sus_xj_kit
              hell no

Comment

never ever ever buy rustys long arms
                I drive a Datsun

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
                  if your suspension is tall you will generally have more compression, if your suspension is low you will generally have more droop.
                  That's all that I was looking for. Just the way you worded that section of the write up made it sound like the only thing that was relevant in articulation was droop.

Edit: The new section you added is also sortof where I was going with this.
                  Last edited by Even; 11-09-2009, 09:08 PM.

Comment

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/3...ml#post8243570

lawl at people trolling Sams posts.
                    -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X