No announcement yet.

Harry's thread to organize all his Jeep thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got everything off to start on the stiffeners tonight.

10ga plate, soon to be stiffeners.

What are everyone's thought's on just making the stiffener fit around the bumper mounts and weld them together in a few easy to cut off spots? The bumper is a bitch to take on and off as it is without having to hammer back on over an extra 1/4" of material. Maybe I don't need to weld them together at all?

Also, apparently I need new shocks.
    97 XJ.

Comment

If you plan on holdon onto this jeep for a long while than take the bumper off and do it right and if not... well just cut the stiffener out around the bumper mounts and leave it.

Comment

if you want to make life easy, i have a template for the front stiffeners.

ill bring it to work tomorrow if ya want
        Originally posted by Ktmracer419
        some people choose video games
        some choose projects
        some choose welding random things together

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post
          if you want to make life easy, i have a template for the front stiffeners.

ill bring it to work tomorrow if ya want
          PLEASE!! Don't suppose you have a template for the rear as well?
          97 XJ.

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
            My front axle is a ford HP 60 centersection with Chevy outers. I paid $200 for the lp chevy 60 complete and $150 for a high pinion housing. If i kept all the stock internals and what not, i basically got a HP 60 front axle for $350. It's an option
            Any idea if you can swap regular Chevy/Ford 60 outers onto Superduty 60s? http://hartford.craigslist.org/pts/3012713917.html

Edit: Never mind about the Chevy parts, all kingpin. Still Non-Superduty D50/60 outers?
            Last edited by Harry; 05-14-2012, 04:20 PM.
            97 XJ.

Comment

assuming they're not kingpin.. yes Dana 50 outters are the same as 60 outters

Comment

Ive got a set of shocks for you, one is weldedtogether and has a bent shaft.....
                -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Do they compress all the way? Because that would be an improvement over what I've got now. Haha
                  97 XJ.

Comment

Almost ready to reassemble. Plating the underside of the unibody was sort of tedious, making cardboard templates and widdling the plates down. But I feel like plating in one plane is not nearly as beneficial as two. Will pry do it a little differently next time around, but it'll be a lot better than nothing.

These were cake with Andy's template. Thanks dude.

Also, this happened.

Never really dealt with one of these before. It's fucking monstrous. 4.10s, recent ball joints and u-joints, locking hubs
                    move easily. Not king pin, but oh fucking well. The dude dropped it off at my house for $300.

My buddy back home has a set of CUCV tons he's putting under his S-15 Jimmy Blazer and picked up another set of Chevy tons for the front axle parts for $200. Turns out the rear is a C&C 14 bolt!! He said I could have it FO FREE. Just gotta pick it up next time I'm home.

So plan is to shave the 14, narrow the 60, and regear to 5.13 or 5.38. Probably weld the rear, lunchbox the front. Run my current 3 link, maybe add an inch of lift or so. Tap the stock box for hydro assist. Maybe throw 4.10s in the rear if next spring comes around I wanna wheel but haven't gotten to gears yet.
                    97 XJ.

Comment

Get some.
                      2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                      MK2 Jetta > M3
                      Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

More things happened.

Got the C&C 14 bolt home. In my Focus.

Dunzo with stiffeners, shocks, brake lines. Upper shock mounts didn't come out as clean as I wanted, will probably redo them at some point.

Removed A/C condenser for more flow to radiator sinced it hasn't worked in years.

Also, installed new transmission cooler.

Broke the screws that hold the e-fan on, so zip ties for the win!!!

Also, new tires/wheels on the Burb. Thanks Grady and Dan!!!

Going to flush transmission fluid and coolant before next Rausch run.

I always feel so accomplished getting a bunch done until I can sum it up in about 3 pictures, then I feel

LET'S GO WHEELING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
                        Last edited by Harry; 08-15-2012, 09:37 PM.
                        97 XJ.

Comment

looks good dude!
                          -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

So this is what color ATF is supposed to be, right?

Thanks Dizzy!!!
                            97 XJ.

Comment

Ok, haven't updated in a while mostly because haven't had time! Going to Rausch next weekend and needed this done.

I originally picked up a Box4rocks from a guy on Naxja with a D20 (twinsticked and driver drop) with the Advance Adapters Jeep pattern done to it for the price of just the Box4rocks before shipping. 33s and stock gears isn't awful, but I knew I'd want it when I started getting into bigger tires and tons and I figured it would make 33s more fun to wheel with for now.

The only catch was that I had to run a single joint front shaft in order to avoid flipping the 231 which I really didn't want to do. Low and behold, a few months later, Duffy comes out with these:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1075295

Room for a double cardan, no floor cutting (I thought, I'll get to that), and no need for a cable shifter since the selector can be put anywhere within the 360 degrees. Sold my Box4rocks to my buddy back home with a ZJ and put the money towards the billet box. Unfortunately, it took 3 weeks to come which put me in a tough spot.

I also decided to go completely even with the frame rails for my crossmember and skid, so that added to the work needing to be done. Most of you probably won't read any of this anyway, so here are the pics!

Here's what I started with, not exactly high clearance. I'm much wiser now, but it fit great and served me well.

And the Box4rocks/D20 and 231

Crossmember, 2"x6"x1/4" channel

Wanted to be completely flat on the bottom, so this allowed the tranny mount bolts to be counterbored and not stick out the bottom

Welded in

97 XJ.

Comment

Billet box:

Associated goodies:

Cutting the 231 to get the ring gear out

Pressing it in. Used a vice which sorta sucked, but worked. Real press would be better, but I don't have one and was in a hurry.

Box assembled with 231 internals

Going up on the jack. This fucker is HEAVY. Tons of fun.

Ended up making this contraption since I don't have a tranny jack. Worked great.

I guess I didn't get a pic of the hole in the floor with the 20 sticking through, but here is the patch I put over it. I conveniently found my mixed tank of gas empty so had to use fluxcore. Awesome.

97 XJ.

Comment

Working...
                                X