Getting ideas, let's talk details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting ideas, let's talk details

So I've been doing a little research here and there about the next jeep I want to do. It seems each time the builds get smaller and this is no exception. Been looking at Will's black jeep and mj, also Phil's new one. It'll be for camping/light wheeling. 3" lift, quality shocks, keep stock fenders and flares, probably metric 32's to tuck in... anyway.. how wide of a tire should I go? What size wheel spacers for a Moab, ravine or icon (OEM)? How much trimming is needed? Let's get this forum active and talk some tech. The big thing here is Maine's inspection is crazy. Any tiny rust spot, lift height, fender flares or engine light is a problem.
    I drive a Datsun

i couldnt be happier with the size and setup on the black jeep for what you are talking about and i told phil the same thing and his is basically identical now.

the tires are rubicon JK sized 255/75/17s with proper bumpstop and i didnt touch my fenders or stock flares. They're on there with 1.25" spidertrax adapters to take the JK Moab wheel. It will rub if you dont bumpstop, but thats a no brainer. I have taken it up some pretty serious climbs relative to its size and have twisted it up with no problems suspension or body rubbing wise. Stock bumper with the big plastic ends, you will probably hit those, but i never had mine set up with that. Its on BDS 3" springs all around.

The MJ is on the same tire, wheel, and adapter setup. It has 1" less lift though and isnt bumpstopped, but thats still in the process of being set up to not rub at all in the front (rear wells are bigger on an MJ).

I built it (the black xj) specifically for everything you're talking about. No legal issues with tires, no one-off parts that are hard to source, kept everything as stock as possible so i can source whatever I need anywhere, for light wheeling use but also very capable for its size.
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

Comment

I feel like I want to do as little as possible. Maybe even 2" and 31's. But at that point it might just be worth it to go up just a little more. The white xj with 3.5" was always all over the road even after wj steering. Dizzy had to change a ton of year old parts to make it drive able again and I don't want to deal with that. Maybe it was the wide stance and 33s that killed the front end. Or the way I wheeled it
      I drive a Datsun

Comment

the tire is a tall thin 32, it drives perfectly normal, i wouldnt ever go 2" and 31s instead of this, but thats up to you. ask phil how well his drives, he has a less aggressive exo grappler on his versus trail grapplers on mine.
        - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Maybe try a WJ? 3" lift and some JK take offs. Whether you find the stock Bridgestones or the BFG KMs it'll be a nice little wheeler and you get some cozy features and a V8.
          P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
          2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
          OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

BDS 3" kit with 265/70R17 nitto exo grapplers on JK wheels, only rubbing I get is on the fender flare liner and control arms at full cut. The exograpplers are pretty much incredible when it comes to road noise, it's like driving on a slightly more agressive street terrain and it handles awesome for being a lifted jeep. I did buy the BDS trackbar with it and new brakes all around so that helps as well. Rear swaybar was removed but front swaybars are staying connected for the time being.

32s is the max you can go with the 3" kit. Also, you'll definitely need the spidertrax wheel adapters for the JK wheels for bling factor. Use loctite and torque to spec!
            sigpic
            Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

If this happens it'll probably be an xj again cause they are super cheap or an mj if possible. So your tires are slightly shorter Phil but the same width I see
              I drive a Datsun

Comment

Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
                If this happens it'll probably be an xj again cause they are super cheap or an mj if possible. So your tires are slightly shorter Phil but the same width I see
                They are a half inch or so different overall, essentially the same
                - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Now to find a rust free 96- xj or mj for $1000

Oh and Phil, what other options did you get? Full speed Ings I'm sure but short arms too?
                  Last edited by Burton58; 05-17-2016, 04:31 AM.
                  I drive a Datsun

Comment

Full speed Ings I'm sure but short arms too?
                    for mine I got the low speed Ings
                    - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Wow, that was supposed to say full springs. Idk how auto correct managed that one
                      I drive a Datsun

Comment

Now to find a rust free 96- xj or mj for $1000

Oh and Phil, what other options did you get? Full speed Ings I'm sure but short arms too?
                        I went full bore. Band new full leaf packs for the rear, front coils and new upper and lower control arms, u bolts, all the hardware, etc. I know the stock control arms are fucking pretzels, I don't want to take chances on my mall crawler. I also got their adjustable trackbar.
                        sigpic
                        Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

this thing built yet? its been a week
                          - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Almost. Ask next week
                            I drive a Datsun

Comment

will do.