Might be coming back, need schooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might be coming back, need schooling

uh oh..... Mangi Hill is gonna come back and fail at driving again??

so my buddy told me he has a cherokee he wants to sell me. He sold me my little DD 2004 Cavalier, so I trust him, but the Jeep has seen some life.

It's a '99 with 144K miles. Looks to be a limited? It has color matched bumpers, fender flares, and those grey wheels. Does that make it a limited? Which transfer case came in those? It's a 4.0 for sure.

the Front bumper looks to have humped a tree, so it'll need replacing. The driver's side fender flares have been torn off, those will need replacing, possibly with bushwhackers?

I haven't gotten to look close, but what am i looking for?

144K miles, I assume the steering will need new ends, transmission? Xfer case? Rust?

He said we will be somewhere between $1,500 and $2k for it, depending on how much work it needs to pass inspection.

So tell me, what do I look for when I go to look at it? Warning signs? Parts that are probably bad? I can't wait to finally be able to come to a meet up at RC and wheel!
    -Doug

Used to wheel.... now..... not so much....

arguably the best year for an XJ

if it has full time 4wd on the level selector its an np242, otherwise its a 231.

144k is great mileage still. i wouldnt hesitate to get it.
    look for cancerous rust but aside from that, there isnt anything major i'd search for that is a 'known problem', whatever it is will present itself pretty obviously, theyre simple afterall.

good to see you getting back in Doug!
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

Comment

is under 2K a good price for it?

I'm pumped, Will. I've been staring at the meetups y'all have up in PA wanting to go, but what the hell is an a$$hole in an SRT going to do at a SIS event? Drag race a YJ?

I'm going to surprise Hilary with it. I think she actually wants an XJ more than I do. She's gonna lose her mind if we get to go wheeling (MILD wheeling...... ) with the SIS crew.
      -Doug

Comment

if those are the only problems, that price is epic.
        - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

DO IT!
          -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
          https://www.facebook.com/M3TALurgist
          I Love Scott Decker and Erik Miller
          -Ian

"Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you family"

Comment

just went and saw it. It's def got some body damage, lots of little dents. Nothing I really care about for a trail beater.

The engine needs a valve cover gasket, coolant flush and freeze plugs.

Looks like a 2" (or3"?) spacer lift with 31's.

Interior needs a good cleaning, but it's fine. The headliner needs some work for sure, it's shot.

My buddy wants 750 for it and our buddy who owns the shop is gonna do all the work at cost to get it going. Realistically, I'm looking less than $1,500 for a 99 cherokee classic with the 40, 231 transfer case (2hi, 4hi, N, 4Lo) with 144K miles.

Now, where do i get a good price on some bushwhacker flares? It's def going to need replacements.
            -Doug

Comment

-00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
              -Ian

Comment

friends dont let friends buy buchwackers
                - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

hey so what's the deal with the floor of these? If the carpet is shot, can i just rip it all out and do a roll-in bed liner? or am I going to get torpedoed by something?
                  -Doug

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                    It needs pocket flares for sure, what do you suggest?
                    -Doug

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                      i was thinking of posting something about them....but hey to each his own
                      -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
                      -Ian

Comment

Man... back in the day those were the cool thing to do! Lol

Now what? I need to replace what's on there cuz they are wrecked.

Also, like i asked, carpet. Is it a bad idea to ditch it and bedliner it?
                        -Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Mangi Hill View Post
                          Man... back in the day those were the cool thing to do! Lol

Now what? I need to replace what's on there cuz they are wrecked.

Also, like i asked, carpet. Is it a bad idea to ditch it and bedliner it?

No they weren't. They weren't cool then and they still aren't cool.

I replaced the carpet in my Jeep, it was EZPZ, just have to pull the seats and center console.

Got it from this place: http://www.stockinteriors.com/items....herokee_Carpet
                          sigpic
                          Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
                            No they weren't. They weren't cool then and they still aren't cool.

I replaced the carpet in my Jeep, it was EZPZ, just have to pull the seats and center console.

Got it from this place: http://www.stockinteriors.com/items....herokee_Carpet
                            ha fair enough, so you're saying no flares at all? What about these AJ's offroad ones?
                            http://www.ajsoffroadarmor.com/produ...roductid=17583

I'm going to need something, they bust your balls for not covering the tire in MD.

you replaced your carpet, but if i pull the carpet, i sure don't want to spend money on NEW carpet! ha! is it a bad idea to just bedline the floor?
                            -Doug

Comment

Oh I thought you wanted to replace the carpet completely. My mistake. Yeah, if you pull the carpet up you should be able to save it and bedline the floor underneath and throw the carpet back over it. That's what I did.
                              sigpic
                              Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Working...
                              X