hobart 140, burning 1/4 plate
      1991 YJ, 1 tons, locked, lots o armor, stretched, cage

Comment

Needed burnin'
        P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
        2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
        OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
          Needed burnin'
          nice...

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

I have the Hobart 135 model before the 140.
            put a lot of wire through it works good but doesn't like the thick stuff.
            I hit the duty cycle all the time, the first couple joints will come out nice then start welding like crap. Same thing happens when I used my buddies Lincoln 220V homedepot welder. It starts welding like crap before it trips the breaker.
            I like to tack everything then burn it in. You tend to drink more beer with the little machines waiting for the to cool.

1/4 is a stretch you really need to bevel it out.

Do you really need portable?
            I would look into the Hobart battery welder you can run it off extension cords or not even plugged in and you get more power than a normal 110v machine because it runs off the batteries the 110v just charges the batteries.

If not get a dual voltage machine you wont regret it.
            running a 220v plug is easy.

just my 2 cents.
            ~Justin
            RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
            www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
            Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Might as well post it in here.

Need welder to weld 1/4" plate without a problem. Would prefer Mig. Any suggestions?
              Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

Comment

how much money do you have? get a little extra and spend it all.
                Joking aside the bigger the welder the better they weld and the longer they weld you can get away with a smaller machine but they weld like crap once they get hot (DUTY CYCLE)
                Buying a 1/2" rated welder you can weld 1/4" all day
                Buy a 1/4" rated welder you can weld 6" and wait

Do you have 220V 50A plug?

You cannot go wrong with Miller or Lincoln (I don't know about the Homedepot ones)
                There are a lot of other brands but everyone will carry parts for these two.
                Hobart is a sub brand of miller and most come with miller parts my Hobart 135 has a miller gun makes it easy when the trigger got smashed.

Go to weldingtipsandtricks.com and watch some videos they guy isn't biased and uses a bunch of different welders.

Basically if you are going to spend $1000-$2000 on a welder then you want one that is going to last and you can buy parts for it say you drop something on the gun etc.
                Welders don't really go bad and newer ones are not much better than the old ones so if you can find a good deal on a clean older welder then do that.

If you are just looking for a once and a while welder I would get the hobart battery welder http://www.hobartwelders.com/product...wered/trek180/
                most powerful 110v welder because it welds off the batteries not the outlet the outlet just charges the batteries so you can weld on and extension cord no problem.
                Plus if you have to make that weld at a friends house or int he back yard it is no problem. You can weld without even being plugged in not long but you can do it.

Hope that helps.
                ~Justin
                RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

i have a 140 handler, i FUCKING LOVE IT, i use high end welders at work all the time, my handler went through a flood, and is still kickin'

ask 92xjlaredo, his entire jeep is being held together from its welds, and heres my frame on my yj ( i traded a mac tools 220v welder for my yj ) beacuse i liked my little 140 way more

the frame is butt welded, and still has taken a hell of a beating ( last set was 25 mph whoops down a pipeline )

Comment

my bumper channel was over 1/4 inch, and the piping is old water piping from a school, no problem burning through it

Comment

Originally posted by StompJrKz400 View Post

the frame is butt welded, and still has taken a hell of a beating ( last set was 25 mph whoops down a pipeline )
                      That's scary. Make sure to post pics though when it does break in half.
                      Dan.
                      2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
                      www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

hes right, most of my jeep is held together from that welder. from floorpans to exhaust to frame stuff, hell even wheeled and ran a few tacks around the edge of my cross member for QUITE some time. needless to say that welder has proven its worth.

Please, Dan, dont take this the wrong way. but i am genuinely wondering why its so bad to butt weld a frame together? i have been told by quite a few people who have done similar projects that as long as its done right it can be trusted....since hes had it its had the living piss beat out of it (the intention was breaking it to find weakness) with no issues. whats the time frame for this to break and why is it so bad? not gonna lie here i dont have much if any fabrication skills/experience. hence the question
                        -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
                        https://www.facebook.com/M3TALurgist
                        I Love Scott Decker and Erik Miller
                        -Ian

"Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you family"

Comment

wanna make fun of my welded d35 too? ha

Comment

Originally posted by StompJrKz400 View Post
                            wanna make fun of my welded d35 too? ha
                            of course....

BOOM

-00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
                            -Ian

Comment

There isnt a lot of surface are with a straight butt weld. Also technique really comes into play as far as the strength of the weld and integrity of the metal surrounding it. You are depending on 4" of weld, or whatever the height of the frame is. If you do not fish plate it than the cuts of the frame should be in a "Z" or even semi-circle to increase the area of the weld.
                              Or Fish plated to spread the load across a much greater area.
                              For all we know it may be fine. But to me why take the chance when you know it will be good with a simple fish plate.
                              Dan.
                              2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
                              www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

okay that makes sense. i just hear a lot of people bashing the buttwelds...then i hear others that say its fine. so if youre skilled enough to do it...its not such a bad thing but if not...youre really risking it over just putting plates on.
                                -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
                                -Ian

Comment

Working...
                                X