Hobart 140?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart 140?

Anyone have any experience with Hobart welders? I was looking at this one from them that I can get a good price on.
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/hobart-...welder-3812040

Im looking for something small enough that I can take it to work and back home easily, be able to weld 1/4", has gas (tee hee), and not have to worry about a 220 plug. This welder seems to fit what im looking for pretty well. Just not sure if I should spend a little more on a lincoln or miller. Any advice would be sweet.

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

I have this welder and it works excellent, i use gas and in general beat this thing up a lot, and it's never failed me. Had for about 4-5 years, I never hit the duty cycle until this past weekend welding 1/4 plate to 1/4 plate, after about 6 feet of fairly wide, very hot bead it needed a little time to cool down, but only a couple minutes. If welding on 1-3 you'll never hit the duty cycle
    1991 YJ, 1 tons, locked, lots o armor, stretched, cage

Comment

sweet thats exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks man

Comment

I bought mine at TSC too, get a 60lb tank, the one like 3ft tall too, i promise it's worth it
        1991 YJ, 1 tons, locked, lots o armor, stretched, cage

Comment

I like hobart, i have heard great things about all their products and have used my buddies a ton. My advice is to buy the biggest welder you can afford. I just got (literally got delivered today) my hobart 190 and i cant wait to play with it.

Comment

i also have the hobart140. i don't think you can go wrong, flux or gas, whichever you prefer. i like gas but flux is alright too. it can put 1/4 to 1/4 well despite being a 110.
            Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

Comment

If it's in your price range, I say get a dual voltage machine. Versatility of a 110v machine and capability of a 220v machine in one package. The Millermatic 211 will be my next welder pruchase.
              97 XJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
                If it's in your price range, I say get a dual voltage machine. Versatility of a 110v machine and capability of a 220v machine in one package. The Millermatic 211 will be my next welder pruchase.
                have one and absolutely love it. It does everything the Millermatic 251 I use at work can do, except for spray arc. Best investment i ever made hands down.

My advice is go with a 220v welder, 110 just isn't powerful enough to produce good quality welds on thicker material.
                No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

The problem is that I don't have access to a 220 source. And also I'm not lookin to drop 1100 bucks on a welder that can weld a little thicker stuff. And I can't see myself using anything over 1/4 inch anyway

Comment

I also have a hobart 140 and think it does a good job. 1/4" is a stretch if your looking for real good penetration but what do you expect for a 120 unit?

Comment

wade also has a hobart 140 and it always seems to work well whenever he needs it
                      I drive a Datsun

Comment

I have a hobart 140 bought from tractor supply about a year ago. Works good with flux and even better with gas not a bad welder for the money.
                        04 WJ, 6.5 inch lift on 35'' MTR/K, Clayton long arms,locked
                        Jon

Comment

had my hobart 140 for 6 years or so. no failed welds.

welds 3/16" and under with ease. welds 1/4" pretty good if you arent using an extension cord. even done some 3/8" and solid stock tubing with it. no failed welds. on the thicker stuff sometimes I make a couple passes while its still hot.

http://www.toolking.com/hobart-50050...elder-a-stock/

exact place i got it from, and mine was a factory reconditioned unit. looked brand new.
                          www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks for the reviews guys. I get 15% off at TSC so Ill be getting it from there. Now time to finally get some work done on the blue jeep

Comment

I just bought this welder after reading great reviews. I have run it quite a bit and its been great. I dont think you can beat it for the money and especially for what it comes with

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2691_200332691
                              Dan.
                              2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
                              www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Working...
                              X