wtf's up with welding gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wtf's up with welding gas

Online I can get a 40 gallon tank for $200 and I know my high school had a 20 gall. tank on the MIG. Supplied by ABCo

ABCo sells gas by cubic feet. I called them and it was Like $130 for a 40 cubic foot tank and like $40 to fill it with argon/co2.

So whats the deal here? How do these two numbers relate? I planned on a 40 gallon because it would be double the size that I had used in the past. How many cubic feet would the 20 gallon tank have been?

1 cubic foot is about 7.48 gallons 20 gallons = 2.67 about 2.67 cubic feet

Comment

I have a 90cf on my TIG and MIG. Good size if you have to carry it and bring it back and forth.

Comment

So what size should I buy? I only have a 140 mig and don't weld a ton but would like to do some projects soon and don't want to think about it running out and having to so out to get it filled.

The one we had in school might have been like 2.5 ft tall and 8 inches wide. how many cubic feet would that have been? I'm thinking it must have been 60.
        Last edited by cherokee-at-16; 08-12-2011, 09:40 PM.

Comment

http://www.airgas.com/content/detail...=7000000000234

A few things to consider:
          Depending on how much welding you do, you might want to lease. I have 2 bottles from Tech Air, i think they are 250 cubic inch bottles or maybe 300s. I will have to double check my receipts but if I remember right they are 80 to fill, you just have to pay a yearly lease fee, and I found if you fill them at least once a year it is cheaper to lease. However this size bottle can only be exchanged with Tech Air, I believe 60ci and smaller they you own can be exchanged at any welding gas supplier. I own an 80ci Argon from ABCO for emercencies and its 60 to fill, I don't really care for them but they are closest to me.
          1950 Willys Trail Rig
          2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by cherokee-at-16 View Post
            So what size should I buy? I only have a 140 mig and don't weld a ton but would like to do some projects soon and don't want to think about it running out and having to so out to get it filled.

The one we had in school might have been like 2.5 ft tall and 8 inches wide. how many cubic feet would that have been? I'm thinking it must have been 60.
            i have an 80.

Got it filled with the mix the other day, well exchanged it, it was $30.31 total.

When i bought my welder the outright on the cylinder was $150

it deffinately lasts a long time, this is the second time i've gotten filled, and i've done ALOT with it.

I like the big spools too, better value, its like 30 bucks for the big one (i forget the weight off the top of my head)

I have a .030 spool in case i have to do small stuff but i use .035 for anything quarter inch, cuts down on the spatter from what i've seen.... probably won't matter to you though, i have been told that 110v with .035 does not work too well.

idk if you have a regulator or not yet, i have a smith equipment series 30 single stage on mine, works for me hahaha. We use smith flowmeter regulators at work i think they're like 110 bucks and they are really nice. part number on em is smith 32-80-580
            No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
            Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Working...
            X