• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
    my 2 cents:

eff the warn skid. and build a belly pan off of the crossmember

sell warn skid, make bank
    possibly in the future, i wanna have this thing some what done by the second weekend in november for a trip to rausch, so i might just make the skid work in some way without hacking it up
    God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

I dont know about yours but my WARN t-case skid looks like a warped piece of cardboard after 2 trips to RC. Granted it does it jobs but I wouldnt want to weld a cup holder to it hell with long arms
      I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

ok, i haven't really got the chance to use the skid yet, but i have some small box tubing that i was gonna use for side protection of my front bumper, ill see if i can use that and a sheet of steel and make a skid. My problem as it is now though, is my t case hits the warn skid, and when i start it, it smacks each other like a son' bitch. and i have the drop for the xmember, and the skid on.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Just wondering if anyone knows any coupon for ballisticfab.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

pirate

Comment

Gonna build the x member tomorrow, but thinking for the future, what would be the best way to make sure the two arms are even? just set a close length from the joint, and then whatever i do to one do to the other? Should i take apart the steering and what not to make it easier to maneuver the axle? and what should i have the caster set at?

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

step 1. build crossmeber

step 2. find measuring tape

step 3. measure from eye to eye for the link

step 4. measure again

step 5. make lower arms that length

step 6. install your lower arms.

step 7. remove one of your upper arms

step 8. make tabs for you lower and attach them to the upper you took out.

step 9. bolt your upper to the axle and seat teh tabs on the lower. and weld

step 10. repeat to the other side

step 11. wallah

pretty fool proof if ya do it that way.

and ya wana have your caster at around -6 i believe

and you said earlier that you were getting 1.75 od with 1.5 id..... u ment 1.25 id right?
                Originally posted by Ktmracer419
                some people choose video games
                some choose projects
                some choose welding random things together

Comment

Yea, 1.25 id, sorry bout the typo. I was thinking pretty much those same steps, just thought i was under thinking it.

Edit: im getting universal tabs for my upper to lower connection in my order from ballistic when i do order them, there 3.49 a pair and i can just bolt them to the upper, set the caster, and weld the tab to the lower.
                  Last edited by LittleD; 10-14-2010, 07:28 PM.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

not pluggin it here, but this is probably the easiest crossmember to replicate and the best design out there IMO. its three piece so you dont have to remove your suspension to access the tranny/tcase. Outside pieces weld to the unibody and bolt on too.
                    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

pics are broke. but i can only guess its clayton.

i'm not a fan of how low it hangs, but it works.
                        www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Im going to logan on sat to pick up some of the materials, im going to use angle iron to work as a stiffner on the bottom and outside of the unibody and plate steel on the inside to bolt to. Hopefully i can manage to borrow a cordless sawzall to cut what i need and not have a ton extra.

I've also decided to keep the crossmember as a plain piece of box tubing and not make it high clearance and all that shit, it looks like a piece of 3x6 box tubing with a couple holes drilled in it.
                          Last edited by LittleD; 10-21-2010, 07:57 PM.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Picked up steel today, got 1 long ass piece of tubing just larger that .25( was about .33) and i would guess its around 7.5 feet long. Also got two pieces of box tubing about 3.5x3.5 inches that im going to cut the top off, and slide it over the unibody where the xmember will be, it's prolly 1/4 inch thick. All in all, costed me 74 bucks, and ill have left over material. Pretty sure the tubing is dom also but ill check later today if i can feel a welded seem or not.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Gonna finish up the xmember hopefully tomorrow, drilled the wrong four holes on the top, but those are re drilled, just have to mess with the hole saw holes on the bottom side.

Tubing is DOM, it's 1 7/8" od, and its about 7/8" thick.

Once i get the x member on the jeep, i can order all the pieces to start fab. I have to figure out if there is a certain spot i need to have these brackets that connect the uppers to the lowers, and i need to push the pass side forward a bit.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Zullo, could you get me a measurement the next time you work? I need a ball park area of the eye to eye length from the lca axle mount, to where the upper attaches to the lower.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Working...
                                X