Finally making those long arms...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally making those long arms...

Ok, i have decided to just make my own long arms, i have 3x6x3/16 box tubing that i am going to drill four holes in to make a cross member, weld some angle iron to it, and bolt through the unibody for extra strength. I have 1 1/4 id tubing 1 1.2 od, with a bend in it that will make these sorta high clearence. Read around and saw that most people use between 33 and 36 inches of tubing for the lowers, which is all im going to be building.(using my RE adjustable uppers and welding a bracket to the lower for a true y link long arm.)

Going to use these to connect the lowers to the cross member.
    http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...nt_p_1511.html

The id of the tubing is 1 1/4 so i should use these correct?
    http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...er_p_1405.html

And if i use those adapters, what size johnny joint should i use? Im going to cut the rubber ends off of the lowers, and grind them smooth so i can weld the tubing to them for the axle side, so all i am going to need is the joints for the x member.

Not much to take pics of as of right now besides the raw materials so ill update as i go.

Edit: Sam, if you read this, how easy was it to make your box tubing x member? im not going to clock my tcase, but did it make noise? did you cut a square to for the tranny mount to sit in?
    God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

oh shit i forgot to get back to you on facebook. im not sure what size those joints are but i will find out as soon as

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

that tube wall is only an 1/8th in. thick?? seams a lil bit thin id use .25 wall DOM if possible
      Last edited by justtorchit; 09-27-2010, 10:28 PM.
      Originally posted by Ktmracer419
      some people choose video games
      some choose projects
      some choose welding random things together

Comment

use currie johnny joints, they are the best.

9/16's hole, 2.63 inches wide... for the lowers
        CE-9114 for the 1" 14tpi shank
        CE-9113 for the 1.25" 12tpi shank

for the uppers you can use 2.0 joints.

I'd also buy bushing housings for the axle end, they are cheap. Don't cut up your old stock ones and weld them to a new set of longarms. you just weld them on and press new bushings into them.

Also, i second the use of .25 wall for the lowers.
        No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
        Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Yea, im not to pleased with the thinness, but i have it laying around in the perfect lengths so im gonna make due with it. And thank you zullo

Im also using this since it is a roll cage, it can handle a crash up to 180 mph

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

its roll cage tubing?? hrew?? dom?? sched???either way i wouldnt do that, especially when ya start sliding those links over rocks or anything.... it can handle a crash at 180 when properly constructed. but one link is gonna bend very easily. i know i can dent a peice of tube with a good size hammer, never mind the weight of a jeep.... just some food for thought
            Originally posted by Ktmracer419
            some people choose video games
            some choose projects
            some choose welding random things together

Comment

Originally posted by LittleD View Post

Im also using this since it is a roll cage, it can handle a crash up to 180 mph
              cages are part of a structure..and tend to deform in some way anyway from time to time

do what andy said and use 1/4 wall tube for the job...1-1/4" diameter tube is even small IMO, especially for a jeep roll cage...i think most long arms are 1.75" , i know mine are
              - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
              or am asians pants not a read end lol.
              Originally posted by DizzDizz
              aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by LittleD View Post

Edit: Sam, if you read this, how easy was it to make your box tubing x member? im not going to clock my tcase, but did it make noise? did you cut a square to for the tranny mount to sit in?
                it was real easy.

but if you dont wanna clock your case you will have front driveshaft clearance issues unless you...

notch the crossmember, or make it lower clearance than mine..
                www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
                  it was real easy.

but if you dont wanna clock your case you will have front driveshaft clearance issues unless you...

notch the crossmember, or make it lower clearance than mine..
                  I don't plan on running the cross member that tucked up, just going to use some thick angle iron, and probably do a little 3/16 plate around there to stiffen the unibody up, then throw a bolt through the unibody.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

roll cages are strong because they use the whole system to achieve the strength needed, but individually the bars are weak.
                    1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                    2001 wj tbd
                    1974 5 ton

Comment

Rj, i realized that after i posted it, but if these come out like crap, im going to just buy some re lowers that i have a quote for.

What size steel should i use to connect the lowers to the uppers?

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Merry Christmas

Quit dickin' around, you're just gonna kill yourself accidentally.

buy quality parts, like these.

http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...roducts_id=110

ForSure Motorsports
                        Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
                          Merry Christmas

I has those.

Holy shit the price has gone way up.
                          99 Dub Ya Jay

My Adventures Thread
                          http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15148

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
                            Merry Christmas

overpriced garbage

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Originally posted by CumminsJeep View Post
                              overpriced garbage
                              300 more than your creeeky rough country ones... still saying that buddy

ForSure Motorsports
                              Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

Working...
                              X