88 Comanche Restomod Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 Comanche Restomod Build

Picked up an 88 comanche to restore and build for general use.

Its a 4.0, 5spd, 4x4 short bed Comanche chief. Is in relatively good condition, needs a new engine some floor patches and the rockers and one cab corner have had a shitty repair done to them that will be redone at some point.

First, we picked it up out in mass. Worth the drive I think the majority of the bed and cab are in great shape. the paints got some weird like textured bed liner on it in spots, but the metals good.

It needs and engine because of this hole right here. Also the radiator sprays coolant. But it still starts and runs, not that it could last much longer.

So we pulled the radiator and grill to make the engine removal easy. Pulled all the cooling lines too, since im going to change it over to an open system. There isn't much left in the way of the entire engine and trans coming out, a few bolts, everything else is undone.

Ive started to paint the grill chrome trim pieces black since they didnt look that great.

It was getting darkish but threw on my jcr bumper to see how it would look and i think its found a new home.
    [/URL

Some more pics of the truck, I don't know why i didn't take more before i started pulling parts.

Last edited by cherokee-at-16; 05-26-2014, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Cool project!
      sigpic
      Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

I would highly recommend the JCR DIY rear bumper if you're in the market. Simple to build, super nice looking when finished. And you can get as crazy as you feel necessary as far as grinding welds perfectly smooth and whatnot.
        1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
        1999 sierra
        1967 M725 Big and Slow
        -Dan

Comment

Im going to be keeping this build very mild, so i can use it as a daily driver. I like jcr's DIY stuff, but the stock bumpers in good shape, might paint it though.

Basically i plan for 3-4" of lift, 31" All terrain or all season tires, and some nice shocks. The only cutting i want to do on it, besides rust repair, is on the front fenders so they line up with the jcr bumper. The rest could stay stock, until i find some wood veneer dash trim to swap in.

Comment

Still going to make oer?

Luke95
            OER The bad judgment Olympics.

Lowlife 35x12.5s on 3 inches of lift.
            General Tires are

Comment

Originally posted by Luke95 View Post
              Still going to make oer?

Luke95

Yea for sure, Ive dropped the registration on my cherokee and its now a full trail rig. It only needs a few things to be ready to wheel, even though its kinda fucked up.

Comment

So its coming together I guess. The engine is out, along with the transmission and transfer case. Last weekend I picked up an engine from luke95. Im not rebuilding it but its getting all new externals expect for the pulleys. anyway the new engine is on the stand, so far ive done the timing chain and cleaned of gaskets and shit. Some pacesetter headers should arrive today, they might be total shit but hopefully not.

Bolts.

Comment

cleaned up these covers and painted them blue

new freeze plugs

newwater pump and thermostat

heres the valve cover cleaned, mocked up with a set of pacesetter headers

blue

Comment

painted the headers blue

was going to use the old clutch, but then i was like fuck that and bought a kit with new slave from the zone.

and now its all bolted together in one super long combination for a disastrous install. but i figure if it came out, it should go back in.

so hopefully it will be running in a couple days and i can stop riding my bicycle to work
                    Last edited by cherokee-at-16; 06-16-2014, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Le sigh.
                      Another over build.

Not to say that 3-4" of lift I'd excessive, but when you're looking to restore a stock Comanche it becomes 3-4" of excess.

Cool project though. Keep it stock!
                      Is it egg nog season yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Riot View Post
                        Le sigh.
                        Another over build.

Not to say that 3-4" of lift I'd excessive, but when you're looking to restore a stock Comanche it becomes 3-4" of excessive.

Cool project though. Keep it stock!
                        yeah no i am. that was day i brought it home excitement.
                        that jcr bumper is bolted back to the cherokee as well
                        What i would like is some zj v8 coils (not the 5.9 ones) for like .5-1" of lift and the slightly stiffer spring rate.
                        Last edited by cherokee-at-16; 06-16-2014, 07:20 AM.

Comment

if you want to level it maybe get some nice 2 in coils like OME. They'll ride nice and you won't be all raked out. Unless you're into that sorta thing...
                          1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                          1999 sierra
                          1967 M725 Big and Slow
                          -Dan

Comment

Id say its at 95% completion, for being drive able. I was an idiot and didn't tag all of the wires. Hopefully this weekend i can get some stuff done

Comment

Any news?
                              OER The bad judgment Olympics.

Lowlife 35x12.5s on 3 inches of lift.
                              General Tires are

Comment

Working...
                              X