box with big wheels thing i'm making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• box with big wheels thing i'm making

well new to this specific forum and following the advice of some people from here i'll start a build thread. i know most here don't like NAXJA but i have a thread there dating back to December 2012 that i'd prefer to not re post here so i'll just sum up a few things.
    http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1094425

bought a 99XJ that had a decent amount of stuff done to it by the prior owner Ryan Weaver who knows a few people in the XJ crowd.

from my original post December 30 2012
    99 XJ Limited, D44 rear, built up D30, 35s, bumpers, winch, rubicon express 5.5, 4.56s, Aussie lockers front/rear, WJ knuckles, custom high steering, labarron hood vents, and some other stuff i don't remember.

as it sat when i bought it

the front end is completely slopped out, did 2 bushings in last weeks snow storm out side. was going to upgrade to the adjustable rubicon lower arms but got in touch with a member here and picked up a pair of Clayton Long arms so those will be on soon.
    spend all yesterday and night redoing the rear with new seals which were SHOT!! no rear brakes right now since the seals were so bad it messed them up but i'm not going to use them anyway.

already have parts to install.
    Clayton long arms
    Ford Exploder rear brake mod
    52in LED Vision X light bar needs to get wired in
    then just work the kinks out.

almost doesn't fit in the garage to work on it, i can only jack the wheels about 4in off the ground before the roof hits part of the storage racks we have.

and Bomb doggy Books hanging out while we do a tune up

plans.....
    fender flairs
    rock sliders
    low pro roof rack to mount light bar to
    clearance cut fenders more for the tires
    get heated seats to work right
    fab up a built in dog bed in the back for the pooch
    long arm installing

early Feb i was aimlessly wandering around the woods and power lines where we used to play paint ball

mid April i replaced the RE straight track bar that was on it, the himes were slopped out

the fenders weren't trimmed as good as they should have been to clear the 35s so..... more fab work with the help of my bro.

it's ok, he's an engineer. he thinks he knows what he's doing

Before those pics were taken Alex is walking around looking for his welding jacket
    "Hey is my Weldon jacket in my jeep or my other jeep?"
    "You don't have shoes on" -me
    "Oh"
    (puts helmet on, tarts to weld)

random late night in mid may

finally NICE OUT!!!! took the doors off.... lost one pin and 2 spacers

picked this sweeeeeeeeeet low miles (85k) 4.0 up from a guy at work for some booze...... ya, about those "low miles" hahahah

some real nice looking bearings, think i'll just clean them up with some scotch bright and run em' again.

Brought the 4.0 to the shop, checked it.... Like everything is bad hahah.
    2 bent rods, 2 five over pistons, bad crank, so this is gonna take a little longer

cleaned up the valves and reground them.

a few hours of playing with 16 holes and more best head grinding

block is ready for line hone, boring .20 over and final deck to even out the piston depth.

some axle work. stripped a stock D30 i picked up off CL for $50

now for the real "progress"? not sure if that's the right word.
    custom jeep holder upper i made

little bit of axle building anyone?
    the guy used one of those huge blue welder things with the gas tank, no idea why as i mean a $200 110V MIG from Harbor Freight with flux core does exactly the same thing..... right?

hover mode..... ON!!!

ANOTHER ass from Mass said he was coming to pick up the entire suspension and both axles so while i was out of state my bro pulled the rear and got it ready for him. he never showed up or responded to texts or calls. Hudson now has the axles for his build, kids got potential and isn't retarded. seems cool.

some rust on the floor, DAMMIT!

all patched up, welded, painted and then dynamatted

the passenger side will get the same thing done this weekend.

axle came back from the sand blast guy last week, painted it with some nice bed liner paint so it doesn't chip easy then put in the ball joins and upper Jonny joints thursday night.

Last edited by sardo_67; 07-28-2013, 01:56 AM.

now... for the trolling post

over on NAXJA one of the guys joked saying
    "i bet it'll handle really good with 6 track bars"

i told him the other 5 holes are for steering stabilizers but, i got a better idea.

working on the new track bar system, looking good so far but haven't had much time to mock it up all the way today.

lets watch the but hurt flow
    Last edited by sardo_67; 07-27-2013, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Saredo, nice fab, but I have a question, why put to much into a 30? It seems like a waste.
      OER The bad judgment Olympics.

Lowlife 35x12.5s on 3 inches of lift.
      General Tires are

Comment

Some late night motor jobin'

And some Ferrrrd 9 building too.

Last edited by sardo_67; 07-28-2013, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke95 View Post
          Saredo, nice fab, but I have a question, why put to much into a 30? It seems like a waste.
          The hp dana 30 is a GREAT platform, if you're planning on only running 33-35" tires max. The ring and pinion has plenty of strength, and upgrading to the shafts with the 760 u-joint (same as a d44) gives you an axle capable of handling what you need.

I'm not a huge fan of front 44's because for how much you'd dump into it in order to have a badass one, it wouldn't have been that much more to have built a 60 which is much stronger.

That being said it still all depends on building an axle to suit your style of wheeling and what you want to be able to do.

Also....... that's best high clearance axle bracket kit on the market, installed by one badass dude in a yeller jacket if I may so myself
          No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
          Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Isn't it called a Dana "30" because uou can run up to 30 inch tires? Like how the Dana 35 can handle up to 35 inch tires all day..... Right?

Comment

Cranks getting all polished and cleaned up then measured to make sure it's in spec.

While my brother is doing that I'm figuring out how this ford 9 thingy goes together

Backlash set to just over .008 today, Thursday ill have time to set the pinion depth and get this thing put together.
              Last edited by sardo_67; 08-05-2013, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Finally working on this toilet again.

9 center is all done, waiting on leaf perches to arrive and figuring out a leafspring bushing problem. Then the ass end is done.

D30 is under the front just waiting on a long arm to mock it up and see where the spring pads need to be welded to.

Major progress today on the new 4.0.

Block is line honed and bored 20 over

Prepped the rods, glass bead, magnaflux, cut the caps, cut rods, new ARP rod bolts and stretch checking. Will hone out to size next week.

Put the rear toolbox back in, had this tank laying aroun so I put it in. Probably more trouble than its worth because I know I'm gonna get stupid questions now.

If everything gets delivered like its supposed to it will be on all 4 wheels this weekend.

Comment

resized the rods..

WJ knuckel work

line everything up and mock it with an old hub

into the oven to prep the cast steel to weld

on to the bench, wrapped in a welding blacket to prevent it from cooling too fast

aaaaand now that fancy hot glue gun

done, this on all 3 sides of the spacer. he was bitching about the quality of that weld or something, idk seems good to me.

Comment

Hard to tell, looks like maybe not a lot of penetration on the knuckle? Either way, its just holding a spacer completely sandwiched in place
                    97 XJ.

Comment

it looks good, he just has OCD about things. if he had the time he would have taken 6hrs to weld up both knuckles hahaha.

Comment

about to weld in the spring mounts, this look about right? jeep is off the stand and supported by the front suspension.

Comment

front axle fab work is done, but i forgot to pick up the other hub from the shop so this is as far as i got the other day.

my leaf perches and RE bushing came in the other day so now.... rear end work. finally have everything minus the one front arm to get it back on it's wheels. well maybe some brake lines but ehh you don't need those to go.

Comment

well almost killed myself getting to this point, it's heavy.

the pass side leave is some kind of bastard pack, is there an easy trick to lining up the leaf nubs?

ended up like this after a few trys

off the rear stands at last, the axle does need to be nudged over to the driver side about 3/4in though but i'm waiting till i have a 2nd person to help move this thing around.

Comment

also is it possible to change the title of this thread to "worst fucking idea i've ever had"?

Comment

Working...
                              X