Clunk clunk clunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clunk clunk clunk

Goes my jeep yesterday. Sounded like a ujoint in the driveshaft, so this morning I pulled the rear shaft and drove around in 4hi. Mint, no clunking.

Wobble the ujoints around, one that connect to the rearend yoke was grindy, went to napa, got a new one and popped it in. Put the shaft back on annnnnd, same noise. wtf. Pulled the shaft again and playing with the other u joints they seem fine. Only thing i'm thinking is that little ball inbetween the other two u joints is worn or something? It's like that part of the driveshaft is binding up on itself.

It's a tom woods CV shaft, looks like this.

Any idea's?

if the u-joints look good, how does the splined section feel ? tight ? could be the centering ball like you think, there a pain to change though
    up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
    eliminator MJ - Sold
    99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
    Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

Centering ball isnt hard to change at all, no harder than the U-Joints anyways. Mine made a similar sound when it went bad too.

My front shaft also made a clinking sound for a while once until I realized the splined section was way worn out and I had to junk the whole shaft. This sounded kinda like something jingling/grinding though.
      01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

Comment

rear pinion bearing loose? the one in my 30 is shot and that's what it did, been 2wd since (2 years)
        1992 xj Briarwood
        Disconnect d30 5.13 Super 35 kit 5.13 36x14x18 TSL's
        Welded front and rear
        13' LED roof lights
        Disco ball
        Truck nuts
        Spinners

Comment

Working...
        X