How to tune a cb without "tweak and peak"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to tune a cb without "tweak and peak"

Im clueless when it comes to tuning my cb, what i want to know is: How do i tune the cb using the squelch, dyna, gain etc.

My cb looks like dis

I know that when you're tuning the squelch, once you hear the speaker sound fuzzy, turn the know back to where it is no longer fuzzy.

What is gain and dyna? is gain how strong of a signal your mic will send out?

I also just got a fs3 with the tunable tip, how do i use this in coherence with the swr meter?

Edit: i just read that if your swr is greater on channel 1 then on channel 40, your antenna is too short. I got it so that the swr's are about the same on each channel and then calibrated on channel 20. I also hear that you have to have my mic gain completely off when calibrating, is this correct?
    Last edited by LittleD; 07-22-2010, 07:52 PM.
    God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Just put one in my self. It is easier than it looks. the gain should be at full as should the Dyna-mic. These improve incoming and out going signal respectively. an antenna with a "tunable tip" is not really tunable what they mean is that you can cut up to around 2" off it to get better signal. To tune it set your squelch where you want it as well as volume (they don't matter). Gain and Dyna at full. First switch in SWR position. Second in NB/ANL. Then the rest on regular CB. Change to channel 40 and hold down the talk button on your mic. Then the middle line value should read 1 on that little white vertical line. If not then adjust the SWR CAL until it does. Then go to 20 and do the same, then 1. Try at 40 again and it should be still one if not adjust it to be. Then Switch the first switch to CAL and hold the talk button down and adjust the lower line to 1 at channel 40, 20, and 1. Using that SWR CAL dial again. When done Check again on SWR and CAL and then switch it back to S/RF which is the normal operation position and there you go you are good to go. Just adjust the SQL as you go. Also if you move the antenna the ground characteristics may change and you may need to tune it again. If you need any more help let me know I am happy this is something that I can finally help someone on SIS out with.
    Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
    93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
    Eric

Comment

How does squelch not matter? do i turn that all the way down, and use the nb/anl and noise tracker to stop the fuzz? and I thought that you had to turn it from channel 40,20,1 on cal and set it to where the arrow is?

Edit: Thanks, i re read it and it makes alot more sense now

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

SQL is just a way of tuning out too much static basically you just want to keep turning it up until you don't hear static anymore. NB/ANL is the cobra program that helps take out noise and keep signal clear, unless you aren't picking up things you know you should keep this on. As for the other stuff hope the edit says you get that now.
        Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
        93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
        Eric

Comment

I went out to a open parking lot, did the calibration thing. I had the gain/dyna all the way turned clockwise and then messed with the squelch, i could hear some voices every know and then but they weren't clear and when i turned on the sound tracker i couldn't even hear any one. could this be a ground? my antenna is mounted right after the 4x4 logo on the upper quarter.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

If you are able to calibrate it in terms of the fact that it may have more than 1 then it is most likely not your ground. I could also be that they are not exactly on channel. A unit with delta tune would fix this but most likely you are listening to people a very long way away. If you can understand anyone enough just ask them where they are or on a free band around 20 (for some reason they seem to work better on cobra's) just ask if anyone can hear you. You will probably get a response. Also I have noticed my CB just emits static when near large buildings how ever in the forest it works great.
            Eric

Comment

i hit the first switch to calibrate, then set the cb on 20 and keyed the mic, set the needle to the arrow on cal. then i messed with the squelch. when i could hear people talking it was really staticky then i hit the st button and i heard nothing. ill mess with it in the morning in a open area, i tried this at the school down my street.

If i can't get this to work, ill have to spend the $30 bucks to have it done at a truck stop. (figures there are none in my area that i know of)

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Originally posted by gobigorgohome View Post
                i hit the first switch to calibrate, then set the cb on 20 and keyed the mic, set the needle to the arrow on cal.
                THERE IS YOUR PROBLEM! you set it to cal which is the red on the right side you want it almost set all the way left at the 1 mark on the middle row and just about 1-3mm right of that on the bottom 1 mark. That should fix it for you, but just remember you are not going to find a perfect signal from random people you need to test your radio with a friend across town, at the other end of the trail, etc.
                Eric

Comment

Originally posted by WickedXJ View Post
                  THERE IS YOUR PROBLEM! you set it to cal which is the red on the right side you want it almost set all the way left at the 1 mark on the middle row and just about 1-3mm right of that on the bottom 1 mark. That should fix it for you, but just remember you are not going to find a perfect signal from random people you need to test your radio with a friend across town, at the other end of the trail, etc.
                  I shall try that in the a.m..... to be continued

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

OK, so i found a manual online and had to read it on my ipod cause my word doesn't decode shit anymore. It says to set to cal, then adjust the knob to have it in the spot where the arrow is all the way to the right. I learned that squelch is the gate for signals to come through so if it's all the way counter clockwise, all signals will come through both weak and strong. Adjust this just enough so you don't hear static and thats the DSS setting.

Does it really matter if i tune this in my drive way surrounded by cars?

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Does it really matter if i tune this in my drive way surrounded by cars?[/QUOTE]

unless you have a big rig or something that is much taller than your XJ, no not really. or if your house is made of concrete or metal. Otherwise if you have a normal house with normal cars just make sure it is not in a car park or a garage and yes it is fine to tune it there.
                      Eric

Comment

ok, im behind our f350, and next to or 3500 dump truck

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

well that might affect your ability to tune it, actually.. you might want to move.
                          Eric

Comment

I know im being a pain in the ass, but im learning as i go. I had it on when i did some arrants and sometimes when i pull up next to a random vehicle, all i get is static and as much as i adjust the squelch it doesn't go away, to fix this i need to weaken the gain correct?

Edit: i asked my dad about why i was getting static, and he told me to check the ground. went to check it and all i did was use a self tapping screw through the inside of the trim panel w/ out sanding down the paint. testing it at 10 while going down the highway
                            Last edited by LittleD; 07-23-2010, 07:08 PM.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

yea... your ground could easily be the problem just take a jumper cable and a voltage tester and attach the negative cable to the battery then put it back near the screw. Attach one probe to the screw one probe to the negative cable. The number should jump to 0 if it goes slowly (more than 3 seconds) or at anything over that then you should wire a better ground. I don't know of any redneck ways to test this without a voltage meter.
                              Eric

Comment

Working...
                              X