Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post

shit happens when you beat your stuff in the woods
    i beat my stuff when im in the woods all the time, nothing bad happened yet.

and zj v-8 steering comes PRE-BENT for awesomeness!

and i'll rock stock steering on a stockish rig, say unlocked on lil tarz if you dont wheel it like a banshee. just carry a spare set.

throw in full throttle assaults and/or 33"+ tarz and/or lockers, get yourself some beef under there
    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
      i beat my stuff when im in the woods all the time, nothing bad happened yet.
      so i guess youre still rocking that green jeep too then?

everyone breaks in the woods or as a result of wheeling their rig, shit happens, i know its hard to admit sometimes. if i recall correctly, and i do, your waggy non 1 ton on your green xj cost you a finishing spot at the rcrocs pre-run in 2007 when it pulled apart from stress/hits

i never bent or broke my stock steering (many people have, however), but IMO its ok to give advice to be prepared for the unexpected, isnt that what wheeling is all about? billy bob backcountry over in scranton has wheeled his xj on 14" of lift with 37s on a d35 and never broken it or rolled it, but doesnt mean i will follow his lead

now im not saying everyone run 1 ton or youre stupid, all im saying having a strong steering setup is never "a waste of money"
      - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
      or am asians pants not a read end lol.
      Originally posted by DizzDizz
      aliens probed my husband

Comment

This thread makes me lol. Having a stronger steering setup is, IMO, one of the first things you should do when building a jeep. Why wouldnt you just do it? especially if you plan on doing more than 1 trail during the day instead of "picking your line" all day cause your steering sucks. makes no sense to me.
        Last edited by CumminsJeep; 06-02-2010, 11:42 AM.

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
          so i guess youre still rocking that green jeep too then?
          "beat my stuff" = "choke the chicken" lols
          Last edited by Ktmracer419; 06-02-2010, 11:58 AM.
          www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
            "beat my stuff" = "choke the chicken" lols
            i am against animal cruelty as well
            - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
            or am asians pants not a read end lol.
            Originally posted by DizzDizz
            aliens probed my husband

Comment

I wish I had my stock tie rod on my Jeep when I bent my 1-ton. That should have ended a lot better if I did
              I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

i worry about my stock steering just driving to rausch with a lifted rig. it's almost bendable by hand.

also besides just hitting rocks, remember what happens when your tire gets a little hung up while turning and trying to climb a rock? bent tie rod happens *coughtomcough*
                I drive a Datsun

Comment

If you really think stock steering is great to wheel with, fine. I will purposely spot you into rocks to that fucking rolled sheet metal tube holding your knuckles in alignment bends like a pretzel so you can sit on the trail and replace it while the rest of us smash our DOM tube steering against everything and keep driving.

I watched Fred's stock steering bend on a fucking hillclimb and the steering was never physically hit; the pressure between the two knuckles trying to bow in was quite enough to put a nice angle in it.
                  sigpic
                  Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
                    If you really think stock steering is great to wheel with, fine. I will purposely spot you into rocks to that fucking rolled sheet metal tube holding your knuckles in alignment bends like a pretzel so you can sit on the trail and replace it while the rest of us smash our DOM tube steering against everything and keep driving.

I watched Fred's stock steering bend on a fucking hillclimb and the steering was never physically hit; the pressure between the two knuckles trying to bow in was quite enough to put a nice angle in it.
                    Its all good, you can bend stock steering back into shape with a stick.
                    01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by iant333 View Post
                      Its all good, you can bend stock steering back into shape with a stick.
                      Another reason not to run it.
                      sigpic
                      Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

i bent stock steering on 31's..... then i bent it back with my foot.

I love my one ton setup. but then again i just have it cause i wanna be cool and hammer down on rock sections, you're only cool now if you wheel at speed.
                        No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                        Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Well according to my point of view, I think that the ZJ stuff is a nice upgrade, I like that it is 30% stronger, and for 33's it will be fine. If you have the money go for the after-market.
                          seo services india

Comment

how i see it. Over prepare is never bad. if you can afford 1-ton steering, get it. if your new to wheeling or dont have the budget to upgrade to the best then wheel the lower rated trails. if you do happen to bend your stock tierod into a V, bend it back/sleeve it with a highjack handle and finish your day. if you still dont have money for 1-ton, v8 GC steering is much better then buying new hollow steering. Ive ran stock steering, bent it up nicely in minefield in vanes. ran v8 GC stuff for a quick replacment and it held up nicely for local trails. i would love 1-ton but out of budget..

the lovely v tie rod. this was a xj behind me i offered to fix it for him to get him off the trail

different between stock xj/tj/gc (4.0) steering vs. v8 gc (on left)

stock xj/tj/gc (4.0) tie rod

sleeved tie rod with highjack handle to make it through rest of trails/home
                            up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
                            eliminator MJ - Sold
                            99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
                            Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

Now i have been thinking of this stuff and i dont go wheeling much, yet. What about just those hd tierods that places like Rough country and IRO sell for like 60-70 bucks and just use stock tie rod ends. i think rc's is like 1/4 wall dom tube. would this be better the a GC one?

Comment

Originally posted by cherokee-at-16 View Post
                                Now i have been thinking of this stuff and i dont go wheeling much, yet. What about just those hd tierods that places like Rough country and IRO sell for like 60-70 bucks and just use stock tie rod ends. i think rc's is like 1/4 wall dom tube. would this be better the a GC one?
                                the weak point will still be the tie rod ends with any system beside's 1 ton. that being said, it does take alot of force to break a tie rod end.
                                up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
                                eliminator MJ - Sold
                                99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
                                Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

Working...
                                X