No announcement yet.

ZJ V8 steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW, poor spotting and hitting trail obstacles happens. If it doesn't, you either wheel like a puss, or have the greatest spotter wheeling has ever seen.

The idea of upgrading steering, is to prevent breakage. If your theory held true, you could say the same for control arms, skid plates....hell, any armor that you'd like to throw into the equation.

Comment

Originally posted by 1-Ton-XJ View Post
      No he was talking about the steering hitting objects and i said that is not steering weakness related
      I see the point you are trying to make, but unfortunately, that is steering weakness. At least as far as wheeling is concerned.

Comment

It isnt steering weakness...its poor driving and spotting...Iv been wheeling for over 7 years now and NEVER broke a steering item because I hit something...and I regularly only do Class 8-10 trails.
        DD - 95 F150, 302, 5 Speed, 6" Lift, & 36" TSL/Iroks

Trail Rig (In Progress) - 97 XJ, 4.0L, AW4, 12" of Lift, Chevy 1 Tons w/35 SPLs, 39.5 Iroks, 4 Link Front, Leaf Rear, Dana 300, Exo and a bunch of other goodies

Comment

It isnt steering weakness...its poor driving and spotting...Iv been wheeling for over 7 years now and NEVER broke a steering item because I hit something...and I regularly only do Class 8-10 trails.
          Would you care to explain why Ultra-4 buggies don't use stock XJ steering to save weight?

Shit happens when you wheel. You can lay blame on the driver or spotter all you want, but it's the truth.

Comment

I understand stuff happens, but primarily most of the obstacles can be avoided. My buddy bent his 1.5" tie rod on his 1 ton chevy because a big ass rock broke loose further up the hill and slide under his tie rod and nobody caught it, everybody said bump it and he went and bent the tie rod and hes a hell of a driver, but it was just one of those things nobody caught or expected lol.

Trail Rig (In Progress) - 97 XJ, 4.0L, AW4, 12" of Lift, Chevy 1 Tons w/35 SPLs, 39.5 Iroks, 4 Link Front, Leaf Rear, Dana 300, Exo and a bunch of other goodies

Comment

whoop dee do

shit happens when you beat your stuff in the woods

if i have a poor spotter i want to be equipped for it, if something unexpected happens, i want to be equipped for it.

"class 8-10" trails and 7 years doesnt mean anything to me really, youre sounding a whole lot like youre standing on a pedestal here...and assuming youre above others' opinions/experiences as a result
              - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
              or am asians pants not a read end lol.
              Originally posted by DizzDizz
              aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by Even View Post
                Would you care to explain why Ultra-4 buggies don't use stock XJ steering to save weight?

Shit happens when you wheel. You can lay blame on the driver or spotter all you want, but it's the truth.
                Because they rip and dont have time to slow down and meander through the rocks....im not racing so I have all day to pick a line.

Comment

I agree on being well equipped in the woods and that unexpected things happen....but im not trying to be all high and mighty...

i for one am curious as to how tire size and if youre locked effects whether or not you should have stronger steering links haha
                  ^ that made you sound like you were better than everyone...even though simple physics explains that

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                    shit happens when you beat your stuff in the woods
                    Couldn't agree more.

im not racing so I have all day to pick a line.
                    You may not be racing, but you're surely mistaken if you have "all day" to pick a line. I'm not going to sit behind you on the trail and wait because you're worried about your spotter bending your steering.

Comment

^ that made you sound like you were better than everyone...even though simple physics explains that
                      "simple physics" didnt do anything to explain the point i was trying to make, which was steering can be upgraded to prevent contact damage...then again, maybe it does and you should read up

i have class 8-10 rated steering on my jeep, and i merely comment on my personal experiences on the trail, not my own inherent (and irrelevant) driving abilities
                      - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                        "simple physics" didnt do anything to explain the point i was trying to make, which was steering can be upgraded to prevent contact damage...then again, maybe it does and you should read up

i have class 8-10 rated steering on my jeep, and i merely comment on my personal experiences on the trail, not my own inherent (and irrelevant) driving abilities
                        Simple physics says an 8-10" rock protruding from the ground, won't hit my transfer case if I stay to the left hand side of the obstacle.

You don't need that skid plate pussy!

Comment

I has a set of XJ steering in my rack when I wheel... is this twice the awesomeness?
                          2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                          MK2 Jetta > M3
                          Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

simple physics also says that with 20 inches of lift you roll easier....

just sayin
                            Originally posted by Ktmracer419
                            some people choose video games
                            some choose projects
                            some choose welding random things together

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post

just sayin
                              Snape. I didnt even see that, speaking of physics
                              - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post

just sayin
                                OMG lyke KTMracer419 from JF says that's bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X