ZJ V8 steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZJ V8 steering

I've read that this is a bolt on steering system, and after looking at my buddies setup, it is alot stronger than stock because it is solid.

My question is can i just flip it and do otk? i've read that only the drivers side can be done or something like that? i have no swaybar mounts so thats covered. Also, what year should i snag the linkage off of?

Also has anyone picked one up from New Milford Auto Wrecking? I don't think they are gonna be open tomorrow and would like to get a general price for it. But if anyone wants to give me their steering for free that would also work
    Last edited by LittleD; 05-30-2010, 07:27 PM.
    God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

You cannot flip them....you will run into clearance issues because of the bend in the drag link....you CAN flip the tie rod and not have a big issue if you dont have sway bars (may have to cut the mounts off I forget.)

I have a flip kit somewhere for it...its the inserts that you drill the knuckle and weld the insert in.

Also I had two complete V8 sets that I just sold...one brand new and the other a month old.

On ebay there are complete sets that are 125 bucks and I had pretty good luck with them....mind you I was running 36 Iroks, aussied and everything.
    DD - 95 F150, 302, 5 Speed, 6" Lift, & 36" TSL/Iroks

Trail Rig (In Progress) - 97 XJ, 4.0L, AW4, 12" of Lift, Chevy 1 Tons w/35 SPLs, 39.5 Iroks, 4 Link Front, Leaf Rear, Dana 300, Exo and a bunch of other goodies

Comment

Sorry for the confusion, i meant can flip the tie rod ends for otk, but if i have to get other shit to do it, ill leave it utk untill i buy a 1 ton setup. I've heard people getting them for like 20 bucks so thats why i ask

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

I'm sure you could run it OTK if you really wanted. You will still have to ream out your knuckles from the top to accept the TRE's though.

Unless you find it for less than $30, I would just keep saving for 1-ton. The solid tie rod is nice, but you're still stuck with tiny ass TRE's.

Comment

You cannot flip the drag link, you can flip the tie rod. I snapped a drag link in half and bent the tie rod up under my axle and my tie rods were perfectly fine.

Why are you doing a 1 ton setup btw? Do you plan on running more lift, larger tires and lockers? If you are sticking with the 33 ATs and Open/Open then its a waste of money.

Trail Rig (In Progress) - 97 XJ, 4.0L, AW4, 12" of Lift, Chevy 1 Tons w/35 SPLs, 39.5 Iroks, 4 Link Front, Leaf Rear, Dana 300, Exo and a bunch of other goodies

Comment

Planning on 35's locked up front. and at around 6 inches of lift up front, i kinda need it

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

i would just save for 1 ton man.

i have a v8 zj an the steering isnt all that beefy, even with good tierods i would still be sketched out about breaking it.
              97 zj- frankenstein 3.5", 35 stt's.

92 240sx- coilovers,full adj arms bla bla bla. 50trim t3/t04 soon

xj- need one

Comment

Originally posted by 1-Ton-XJ View Post
                If you are sticking with the 33 ATs and Open/Open then its a waste of money.
                lol wut

i did the v8 stuff a long time ago. it sucked.
                my sleeved stock steering lasted longer.

just keep saving
                Originally posted by Ktmracer419
                some people choose video games
                some choose projects
                some choose welding random things together

Comment

Why are you doing a 1 ton setup btw? Do you plan on running more lift, larger tires and lockers? If you are sticking with the 33 ATs and Open/Open then its a waste of money.
                  i for one am curious as to how tire size and if youre locked effects whether or not you should have stronger steering links haha
                  - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                  or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                  Originally posted by DizzDizz
                  aliens probed my husband

Comment

I have V8 ZJ steering, its not too bad, but the advantage to the stock one was if you bent it, it could be bent back with a crowbar, cant do that with the ZJ stuff and its not quite strong enough to never bend in the first place.
                    01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                      i for one am curious as to how tire size and if youre locked effects whether or not you should have stronger steering links haha
                      The more weight and leverage there is on your steering...along with the added stress of turning a locked vehicle vs open.....simple physics

Comment

The more weight and leverage there is on your steering...along with the added stress of turning a locked vehicle vs open.....simple physics
                        and what about rocks, stumps, small children, so on

ive seen steering bend or break via trail obstacles a lot more than just via the jeep itself
                        - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                        or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                        Originally posted by DizzDizz
                        aliens probed my husband

Comment

Precisely, you have your tires between two rocks, and you are trying to turn and drive up one of them....the larger the tire, the more leverage is on that tie rod.

If people are breaking them on trail obstacles, thats a result of poor spotting and driving...NOT steering weakness

Comment

Precisely, you have your tires between two rocks, and you are trying to turn and drive up one of them....the larger the tire, the more leverage is on that tie rod.

If people are breaking them on trail obstacles, thats a result of poor spotting and driving...NOT steering weakness
                            Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you contradict yourself?

I agree, the larger the tire, the more leverage. I've personally seen large tires completely fold stock steering, with no previous damage. How exactly is that not steering weakness?

Comment

No he was talking about the steering hitting objects and i said that is not steering weakness related

Comment

Working...
                              X