What should i do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should i do

I'm starting to second guess whether i can really afford to do this build with my 44/60 with 37's. I'm starting to think about dropping down to 35's, and building my 30 in the front, and grabbing a 44 rear to build, and at the same time making my jeep more streetable. I want to be able to daily drive it so i can sell my grand cherokee to build it up more. I would love to complete my build i intended to do, but im starting to realize i don't think i would be able to really afford it. It's getting harder and harder to not say screw it, and drop down to 35's. Lemme get your opinions.
    Keep dropping sick amounts of money until i can afford to run 37's
    54.55%
    Sell what i have aquired so far and build my jeep for 35's
    45.45%
    Last edited by Even; 02-11-2009, 04:45 PM.

by the time you drop the 44/60 and decide to build a 30/44 youll be in just as deep if not deeper. sam's jeep is perfectly highwayable with 37s.

Comment

Originally posted by XJLI View Post
      by the time you drop the 44/60 and decide to build a 30/44 youll be in just as deep if not deeper. sam's jeep is perfectly highwayable with 37s.
      i disagree. he needs to buy all new perches for new axles and so on. not to mention fab time involved.. and other mixed costs. a 30/44 will be cheaper than a full width build, and IMO more in tune with what it seems like you wanna do. and itll get you on the trail and having fun without 40 years of building.

i dont think youll have any less fun on a 30/44 with 35s, but thats just me...thats what ive wheeled. but someone like sam wouldnt have fun with my setup i guess.

depends if youre retarded in the head or not
      - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
      or am asians pants not a read end lol.
      Originally posted by DizzDizz
      aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by XJLI View Post
        x2 your gonna regret it if you go smaller, cause eventaully you'll make the upgrade and wish you just did it in the first place. go big or go home.
        No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
        Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

I agree to go with 37s however sam did not spend as much money because he made most of his stuff himself. but that doesnt mean he didnt spend a good amount of money. yes, his is streetable, but i feel building it for 35s would probably be better for street use. however, if you are willing to spend the money, you can get a perfectly streetable set up for 37s

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

it depends i guess. if you havent blown up your shit with 36s on a 30, then youll be more than fine running 35s on a 30. well, now that sounds like im some douche on NAXJA.

a 30/44 combo can be made more than stout for 35s. im a firm believer in the HP30's strength.

it really depends on what you wanna do with the jeep- if you wanna be able to do almost anything, youll need the 44/60. if you feel like you dont need to beast the fuck out of your jeep, do the 35s. i went plenty of places on 31s, and feel like 33s is more than adequate for me right now.
            Last edited by XJLI; 02-11-2009, 05:31 PM.

Comment

a streetable full width setup on 37s costs more than a streetable setup on "stock" axles with 35s

/my mindset
              - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                a streetable full width setup on 37s costs more than a streetable setup on "stock" axles with 35s

/my mindset
                I agree. and even if you want to go bigger in the front you can do a 44 front and be set

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

For now i guess i'm going to keep my build going. A lot of it would be much easier dropping to 35's but i probably will end up kicking myself in the ass for not spending the time to do something i want to. My jeep will be streetable, but i want to be able to tear shit up if the opportunity arises.

Comment

not really up to us to decide what you can afford/ can't afford.

but the only real difference in price between building up stock axles d30/ 44 or dookin axles 44/60 is;

front bracketry and leaf perches (you can do it for very cheap, I spent about 120 bucks on both axles although i wish i opted for nicer stuff now)

new wheels.

other than that you also have the cost of rebuilding the brake parts and what have you not (if the axles have been sitting in a pile of mud under a truck in the junkyard for the past 10 years yea)

as far as other costs go, gears/lockers/aftermarket shafts,etc all run about the same, with the rear 60 maybe being a tad more expensive (44/30 parts run about the same)
                    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

I didnt read any of this thread yet, but ima say, stop being a pussy and go to 37"s

going back to read now...
                      "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
                      It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

I just read both sides of the coin, and agree with my former statement.

especially if you have a DD, go for it. that way you wont regret the work you put in, its a little extra cash yes, but if you take your time and do it right, you will be happier with the heavy duty setup.

and as for streetable. it has nothing to do with your set up itself, it has all to do with how well you put it together.

I say go ahead with the 44/60, but thats just me.

Im also in a similar situation BTW, But i went for it, and it sucks now, but once i finally get my D60/S10.25 setup running well, I sure as shit wont have any regrets.

just my $.02

good luck dude.

Peer pressure peer pressure peer pressure... Puuuuuuuuussssssssssssssssssssssssssyyyy...

wut?
                        "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...

Comment

Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed View Post
                          and as for streetable. it has nothing to do with your set up itself, it has all to do with how well you put it together.

Im also in a similar situation BTW, But i went for it, and it sucks now, but once i finally get my D60/S10.25 setup running well, I sure as shit wont have any regrets.

these 2 statement scream money attachments to me, which is what his issue is to begin with...

either way, the decision seems to have been made
                          - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Wheeling screams money.

yet here we are William.

Comment

hey all i said is its cheaper to do standard width and 35s....

wheeling steals everyones soul, no avoiding that
                              - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Working...
                              X