Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longer Oil Change Intervals

well i went to buy oil today

(been using castrol gtx in all mah vehicles since the dawn of me driving)

and it was 47 bucks a case. last time i bought it, it was 30 bucks a case.

Is that 7500 mile oil really fo serious?

Will running synthetic be cost effective for me? (as far as the intervals of changing it go)
    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Just change filters and replace oil as necessary.
    Shane "The Bag" Carlson

2.5L TJ, 5-speed, frankenlift, and stuff.
    My "Bucket" Build
    MilitaryJeepers.com
    ‚——P--;===±--= <-
    !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

Comment

if it aint broke don't fix it.
      No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

i just wan't to save 17 bucks

why don't ya kill me for it

Comment

i used full synth my last oil change, ended up going 4500 before i changed it and when i took the oil out it still had some goldeny color to it
          dirty30

Comment

I wouldn't but that's just me. There's a lot of things I hold off when it comes to the jeep but oil changes is not one of them. Always been a 3000 mile guy.

Comment

i have seen an article in jp mag

they used some full synth oil, a dual oil filter setup and went 25000 miles without an oil change.

not sure how i feel about that, but if i can pay twice for oil and go more than 2 times between oil changes it will be worth it to me.

i have always been a 2500-3200 mile guy. usually less because my speedo is off

Comment

i use mobil 1 and buy it from walmart for 2 reasons.

1. They sell it in a 5 quart jug.

2. The 5 quart jug costs less than a 4quart jug at autozone by 4 or 5 dollars.

Comment

I also work with a guy who has had his stratus for 110000 miles and has never changed his oil. He just adds as needed. Does the car still run? Yea, it does. Will I go over 3000 miles on an oil change? Nope, just what I grew up with I guess.

Comment

Don't forget that just because the oil is rated for 5000 or 15000 miles or more doesn't mean that the oil filter will continue to filter that long.

Comment

yea, i get the filter changes, but that fancy-ass oil has me skeptical.

Comment

i have heard things that even in conventional oil you can run it for 5-8K easy without a problem. Also, that it takes a few thousand miles for the oil to "break in" anyway so when you change your oil at 3K it is still in great shape and you are wasting money. I still change it between 3K and 4K just cuz its what i do. when i changed my oil at 4K last month it was still in good shape too
                        P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                        2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                        OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Amsoil makes a kit for the cummins trucks that allows you to only change your oil once a year. obviously depending on how much you drive but they say its up to 30k miles. Its called a bypass filter and it filters down to 1 micron. It pretty much just adds another filter to the system. but I have seen it work well and have good results. but the oil changes are like over a hundred dollars. but hey, I just spent 50 bills on 10 quarts or mobil delvac 15w-40 and a mobil 1 filter. and i change it every 5k or 6k usually.

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
                            i have heard things that even in conventional oil you can run it for 5-8K easy without a problem. Also, that it takes a few thousand miles for the oil to "break in" anyway so when you change your oil at 3K it is still in great shape and you are wasting money. I still change it between 3K and 4K just cuz its what i do. when i changed my oil at 4K last month it was still in good shape too
                            I think Adam posted an article about oil and the detergents in it a while back that said something to that affect.

I'm not entirely sold on the high mileage oil and all that fancy stuff but I think I'm going to switch to synthetic high mileage now that my jeep is getting up there.
                            2000 XJ
                            2000 A.C.E. 750

Comment

my jeep makes turns oil black in 2k. but im adding at least 2qts in between changes anyway. if youre doing changes at 3k and the oil still looks phresh, push your intervals. run the bigger m1-301 filter- its rated for 15k intervals iirc (but thats nutty) so doing 5k wont be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X