Oil pressure problems still

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pressure problems still

Ok so some of you might recall I had low oil pressure problems. Alittle history on the jeep. Bought it with 179 on the clock. Didn't begin having this problem until recently around 188k miles.

At cold temp, oil pressure read 40 psi at idle and at 2k rpm. Then when it got hot, at idle it would drop to 10 psi and at 2k rpm it would be a hair under 40.

I said fuck it, its not causing me any problems, and I read for every 1000 rpm you need to have 10 psi, so at 800 rpm idle, 10 psi was fine.

Well I was driving today and at 2500 rpms, my oil psi was 20. Not good. I needed to do my 3k mile oil change anyway so I did my oil change and put a new oil pressure sensor in there hoping it was maybe a bad sending unit. Put 5w30 in and everyone said fram blows so I put a purlator in.

Well at cold it does the same thing, 40 and 40. At hot idle, it goes down to 10 again, but at 2k rpms its up to 40.

Something is obviously wrong that its dropping from 40 to 10 between 2K rpms and 800 rpms.

My neighbor and justin suggested I check the pressure relief valve in the oil pump to see if the spring is broken, its a common problem that causes low oil pressure. Any other ideas?

Hm, i had a similar problem w/ the 95 i just bought...it was a garaged old lady's jeep before i bought it so its only got 55k on it, i changed the oil and filter and it fixed the problem, i guess the filter was clogged up pretty good b/c it weighed a ton after i drained it out. Anyways, i've heard guys put mechanical gauges on and end up w/ completely different readings, might give that a shot?

Comment

yeah thats the next thing I try.

Comment

x2 on mechanical guage as i said before. i dont trust jeeps oil pressure senders or gauges no matter how new it is.

Comment

most likely the gauge....mine has never been accurate

Comment

http://mrmontez2000.proboards70.com/...y&thread=11321

What was the outcome of the mechanical gage?
            RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
            www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
            Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Working...
            X