Front locker problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front locker problem

I'm posting this question for a friend. Hes got a new aussie locker in his front dana 30, and hes had it since the summer on his DD cherokee. Says it just wont let him turn left when going slow in parking lots. When he trys to turn tight left it wont unload and it acts like its Fully locked, but when he turns right its fine.

Anyone have a similar issue with their front locker?

Jeep - every bump is a steering opportunity

Justin's XJ is pretty friggin scary with the front locker. I'm talkin still go straight at 40 with the wheel turned all the way. My comanche is great. Don't really have any issues except when only one tire locks up on ice. Basically there's no fix. Get rid of it is the only option,or deal with it.

Comment

mo' pedal

Comment

haha I remember when drew was driving his in fwd with the front locker. He said that was pretty scary.
        1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
        1999 sierra
        1967 M725 Big and Slow
        -Dan

Comment

saw a few problems like this with loc-rights. its usually install error or the springs are shot.
          "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Take it out of 4 wheel drive. If you are locked in the rear, it shouldn't be a problem. Just stay in 2 hi.
            sigpic
            Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

phil that post was way out of left field. Hes front locked only, and he typically doesnt drive in 4wheel to and from work and in dry parking lots. I know you and sam do crazy things in parking lots so i forgive you.

BTW.... Kevin DONT feel obligated to post in every single one of my threads even though you don't have anything constructive to add. I'm trying to find answers so he doesn't get rid of his locker. Its already caused him some damage just from day to day driving. Pulled the bolts that mount the steering box through the frame just from trying to turn left in 2wheel drive in apartment parking lot.
              Last edited by blakdot; 02-02-2009, 01:31 PM.

Comment

my guess is the locker was installed improperly if it was installed properly he might be able to make a warranty claim...just my .02
                99 XJ on tons and 40s....

Comment

my front locker gives me issues in 2wd also not sure if the direction im turning really makes a difference though
                  99 xj, 3" RC, 35" BFG AT red labels, custom rear bumper, SYE, armor, Hellas, waggy 44's fr+rr, 5.13's ,lunchbox lockers fr+rr, rear disk conversion,rock crusher covers frt+rr, beefy homemade 1 ton highsteer setup

Comment

Phil yours does not do this because of your disco axle. Same as corey if he still has his disco axle.
                    Lady bugs don't like it when you paint stripes on them

2005 WK Limited 4.7 V8, Slightly Modded

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 2.8L CRD Diesel Stock

Comment

Originally posted by blakdot View Post
                      phil that post was way out of left field. Hes front locked only, and he typically doesnt drive in 4wheel to and from work and in dry parking lots. I know you and sam do crazy things in parking lots so i forgive you.
                      Something is broken. Open the differential and look.

Originally posted by RockReadyXJ View Post
                      Phil yours does not do this because of your disco axle. Same as corey if he still has his disco axle.
                      On dry pavement, the aussie would unload allowing for the axle to differentiate. His buddy's locker doesn't differentiate, which may lead to be thinking that it was either installed incorrectly or something broke.

If the springs where worn out, the locker would have no problems unlocking. the springs in an aussie or any lunchbox are designed to keep the locking plates together. Something is preventing the locker from unloading.

You gotta open the diff and find out. I'm banking on install error.
                      Last edited by Buffalo Phil; 02-02-2009, 08:11 PM.
                      sigpic
                      Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

No disco for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
                          Something is broken. Open the differential and look.
                          Yea i guess hes gonna have to. He had a shop install it for him and its behaved like this ever since it was installed.

We can agree that this is abnormal behavior though?

Comment

i never had this issue with my front locker only the one corey mentioned with one tire locking up on ice. but yeah dan, with only FWD with the locker it didnt do this but it def was scary to drive. pulled all over the place.

Comment

who installed his locker?

Comment

Working...
                              X