No announcement yet.

My AW4 shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is probably a stupid question but do you think the tranny will wear out prematurely if you are using something like that to keep the TC locked and to rec higher in each gear? I'd be tempted to use it to engine brake more than a normal person would with a stock set up automatic.
    1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
    1999 sierra
    1967 M725 Big and Slow
    -Dan

Comment

The converter lock up will only be used on the highway or just cruising.

Comment

Oh and I don't care it if wears out. I will replace it.

Comment

Yeah I know those trannies aren't exactly tough to come by I was just wondering.
          1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
          1999 sierra
          1967 M725 Big and Slow
          -Dan

Comment

Looks great Dave as always! You'll be able to use lockup for dyno runs too.

Comment

Originally posted by DrThunder View Post
              Looks great Dave as always! You'll be able to use lockup for dyno runs too.
              Yeah it would be nice to make one clean pull without shifting.

Comment

that.is.awesome

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Ok, got the cover assembly all set. I went to Cable and Connectors looking for a 3pdt switch which they had so I can run the tranny on the shifter or the tranny computer. While I was there getting more switches and wire then I'll ever need I see some hobby boxes. Son of a bitch they had one that was perfect!! I was stressing about having to make a box that would work and look reasonable. I think this does the job and was only $9.

I first started out by getting some locking collars to get rid of the big bulky bolt. There is no exterior overhang now from the framing.

I drilled and tap 4 holes in the side to secure the cover to the shifter frame.

The entire side comes off with a few screws to allow access to everything.

I made sure to get the box wide enough to put a lighted toggle in for the torque converter lock up.

All I need to do it mount it and wire it up. I will fit perfectly directly in front of my cup holder and I can leave my arm on the center arm rest and shift at the same time. Very comfortable. I may add my Hella light switch to this box too. There is enough room.

Comment

HELL YEAH!! I got the shifter all wired up and mounted. This thing works awesome!! My favorite mod to date!

Here it is mounted. Sorry for the blurry pics. Im not sure whats up with the camera. (thats my wife's department.)

Notice I changed the knob. Im a "ricer" at heart and found a Type ARrrrgh shift knob in the basement from my Honda days. I drilled it out to accept the shifter.

This simple switch contain 9 connections and switches the shifting from the shifter to the TCM computer. Its a 3 pole double throw switch. $20 meh.

This is the position of my arm in the normal position when I drive. The shifter is nice and comfy to use!

Im very happy with the way this came out. Works great! Converter can be locked up with the lighted switch and also works great.

Comment

that looks awesome!!! take of vid of it in action
                      P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                      2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                      OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

SO how does everything work? You put it in park and neutral and drive via stock shifter and use the new shifter to change gears?
                        Lady bugs don't like it when you paint stripes on them

2005 WK Limited 4.7 V8, Slightly Modded

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 2.8L CRD Diesel Stock

Comment

you disgust me with all your black magic win... nice work
                          2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
                          1945 Willys-Overland CJ2A

Comment

Originally posted by RockReadyXJ View Post
                            SO how does everything work? You put it in park and neutral and drive via stock shifter and use the new shifter to change gears?
                            yep

Comment

i went for a ride in it today, its awesome, works so good.

Comment

Working...
                              X