My AW4 shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My AW4 shifter

Well I need to bypass my ECM/TCM control of my AW4 so it doesn't downshift when I force it into open loop due to the turbo. (don't ask, its a long story and has to do with the air/fuel ratio in closed loop.)

I made this simple mechanical shifter that actuates 2 normally open/closed switches. I made this with some crap I had laying around and some hardware store items.

This is a rough idea of what it will look like but this exactly how it works.

Its about 4.25"x3"x2" ish.

Its bascially just a rod welded to a big fender washer that I drilled recesses into. I used a spring and a ball bearing to give it a positive shift feel. Its pretty smooth and does have a good solid stopping point between gears.

I cut the rod and ground it down to center it. (no I didn't measure it) Then I TIG'd it on. The spacers are some 1/2 copper tubing I found in my basement.

I used the same rod and cut pieces off and welded them to the fender washer to hit the switches in correct order to shift the tranny.

Here is the schematic that you need to use to get the order correct and wired up. I printed the TCM pinout from the Shopkey at the shop.

Here is a quick vid of how it works. It will obviously be bolted down when in use but you get the idea.

I need to make a nice cover for it and get rid of the bolt that is the pivot and get a 1/2 rod and some locking collars so there won't be bolts hanging out of the side. I am also going to incorporate a lighted switch on the cover to actuate the convert lock up.
    Last edited by CSaddict; 02-03-2009, 03:19 PM.

wouldnt expect anything less from you. Quality fuckin' work as usual. Really nice!

Comment

that is kickass. where was mine in the pics?

Comment

Its less than $20 in parts.

Comment

thats delicious. are you gonna use it in place of or as an override for the stocker?

Comment

Im going to use a switch to switch to and from the TCM if I don't feel like shifting, but this will basically take the place of the trans computer all together.

Comment

sweetness

Comment

Thats pretty sweet Dave. Nice work.
                -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

you make the sweetest thing seem so boring.....
                  gelious
                  dirty30

Comment

dude, kickass....i will put one in my DD

Comment

wow thats sick. gonna be schweet when its done
                      P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                      2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                      OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

I had picked up one from the guy on pirate.. Only issues is NOW he has a way to mount it... Looks good!
                        XJ
                        MJ
                        Buick??

Comment

that is ri goddamn diculous dave
                          - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                          or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                          Originally posted by DizzDizz
                          aliens probed my husband

Comment

Thats sick dude, its a wonder why noone ever made a rachet shifter setup for the aw4.
                            Lady bugs don't like it when you paint stripes on them

2005 WK Limited 4.7 V8, Slightly Modded

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 2.8L CRD Diesel Stock

Comment

Im still contemplating a cover for it. I bought a little lighted rocker for the converter lock up. I need a 3 pole dual throw switch still. I may just go direct with it for now and then add the switch later.

Comment

Working...
                              X