Check engine light on but no code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check engine light on but no code

I've got no clue what to do. I went thru emissions today. I failed. The guy that ran the test has no clue why other than because the light is on. My check engine light has been on for a while because of both my upstream and downstream O2 sensors were bad. I replaced both sensors and a 15 amp fuse under the hood. My check engine light came back on just after I replaced the O2 sensors so I ran it for codes. The scan tool shows no codes? Why would the light still be on.? Even the print out from emissions shows no codes

Oh,btw its a 4.0 99 jeep Cherokee 5speed
    Last edited by armadasx; 12-01-2014, 04:54 PM.

I think its like 50 key starts and/or 50 miles for the light to go off if everything is good to go. if youre not showing codes Id say you just gotta drive it till the computer knows that the problems are fixed.
    "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
    It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

Pretty sure Fred's on the right track. But, that's usually just in the computer and doesn't display on the dash.

I have my scanner, it could be a code from the trans module that a normal OBD scanner can't pick up. You sometimes need a scanner capable of reading the codes from the TCM rather than thwe ones generated by the PCM.
      2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
      MK2 Jetta > M3
      Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

I should of included that in the first post.ive driven it roughly 70 miles since I last cleared the codes. It's a five speed it wouldn't have a Tcm still would it?

Comment

Then drive farther... damn.

"Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...

Comment

I would but it's unregistered at the moment because I can't get the damn thing to pass emissions. So I can't go to far just 10 to 15 miles at a time on back roads

Comment

well, that sucks. if the computer isn't giving codes, and youre passing emissions minus the visual check for the check engine light... pull the bulb and get it tested again?

Comment

Thats not a 5spd SWAPPED XJ, is it?
                Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
                didnt this thread start with Jon being gay? what happened to that?
                Originally posted by Lawn Guyland
                he's still gay we've just moved on to more important issues
                Originally posted by Zullius Caesar
                i grab dude's junk all the time, doesn't make me gay.

Comment

Originally posted by hippie metal View Post
                  Thats not a 5spd SWAPPED XJ, is it?
                  Nope,was not a swap

Comment

just pull the bulb out.
                    99 XJ 4.5" Long Arms & 32x11.5 KM2's

Comment

When you go thru emissions part of the test is seeing if the light functions.when you first turn the key the light is supposed to come on momentarily and shut off.

Comment

welp... youre up shit creek then eh?

Comment

Burn it to the ground
                          -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

You might have a code that isn't engine related, like transmission or body.
                            Like the other guy said. What kind of scanner where you using?

If you want to cheat it hook the power of the light up to another light that turns on then shuts off like ABS or whatever else is on the dash.

or find a place that doesn't care....
                            RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                            www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                            Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Is your gas cap secured?

Comment

Working...
                              X