steering brace / tracbar Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering brace / tracbar Q's

This may just be me thinking out loud, but any input is welcome.

So the last week or so i've been noticing a nice Clunk when steering in either direction. I ignored it for a while but the other night i was having a small electrical issue and my instructor let me bring my heep into the shop. After i got the electric issue squared away i had a friend help me with a dry park test to see if i could figure out where said clunk was coming from.

So i've got a couple problems that need addressing. First thing i noticed is my trac-bar bracket is moving, and the bushing on the axle end is Eff'ed, and is also moving. So i tightened up the bracket and the bushing end hoping to stop the movement for the time being.

That didnt cure the clunk though. After further investigation, i could tell the clunk was coming from the steering box area. When i got in there and looked the Cast Aluminum spacer is cracked and broken allowing the steering box to move ever so slightly.

So I'm thinking i want T&T's inner steering box spacerhttp://www.gotreks.com/page.asp?pageid=56 So that should fix that problem, but i would also like to get a steering box brace.http://jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/...idproduct=331#

So with the steering covered i'd like to address the Trac-bar. The stock bracket drilled to except a bolt and a heim isn't doing it for me. Also if you can see in the picture below the PO installed this stupid drop bracket on the axle end, which i proceeded to bend to fawk on our last Rausch run. I really dont have any good solutions in mind. What i really want to do involves welding and i wont have access to a welder for another 6 months. So i guess what i'm thinking is to try and nock that drop bracket out so that i can reuse the stock mounting location on the axle end. Then order a replacement bushing for the axle end of the bar and then get the Johnny Joint and frame bracket as seen in this trac bar kit. http://jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/...idproduct=116#

Ok so heres an actual question. With that all said and done i would also like to run a trac-bar brace of some type. Like this onehttp://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan..._Code=SUS_TRAC Is there going to be enough room? Can i run a trac-bar brace and a steering box brace?

and a picture for reference
    Jeep - every bump is a steering opportunity

go to www.fullsizexjgear.com and get the RE HD trackbar/bracket and the trackbar brace that goes with it. as for the inner brace i think fullsize also sells the C-rok one, which is only $40 bucks. he is MUCH cheaper than jason is.

Comment

yea i was really only using those links for reference i hadn't actually shopped for price's yet. Thanks for the info though.

Comment

I need to replace my trackbar and I think I'm goin with the same set up- RE extreme duty bar and bracket along with the MORE brace, just not the inner steering box spacer.

Hopefully that fixes my steering issues.

Actually I got a question too. Will the 4-6" bar work with 3.5" inches of lift? I don't want to buy this to fix my steering, then buy it again if I get bigger tires and more lift.
        Last edited by Adam; 01-31-2009, 12:03 AM.
        2000 XJ
        2000 A.C.E. 750

Comment

This is my setup. RE HD Track bar, and trac bar brace with the Crok inner steering box brace and it all makes for a nice right front end with less frame twisting.

Lady bugs don't like it when you paint stripes on them

2005 WK Limited 4.7 V8, Slightly Modded

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 2.8L CRD Diesel Stock

Comment

what trac bar brace is that?

Comment

RE

Comment

where does the M.O.R.E. steering box brace mount?

Comment

kyle is your trackbar bent to fawkin shit or does the RE bar have a funky bend up top i didnt know of?

edit: nvm, looked it up...RE has 1 more bend than mine did ...but now mine has 0
                  - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                  or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                  Originally posted by DizzDizz
                  aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                    kyle is your trackbar bent to fawkin shit or does the RE bar have a funky bend up top i didnt know of?

edit: nvm, looked it up...RE has 1 more bend than mine did ...but now mine has 0
                    noob

Comment

Originally posted by blakdot View Post
                      where does the M.O.R.E. steering box brace mount?
                      right above the pitman arm, on the box.

Comment

sry I mean passenger frame side. If the RE Trac-Bar Brace utilizes the stock skid plate mounting holes, where does the steering brace mount to.

like i said before i'm trying to decide if i can run a Trac-bar brace and a steering box brace.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post

LOL thats why its gonna be harder to modify my trac bar for the otk setup.
                          Lady bugs don't like it when you paint stripes on them

2005 WK Limited 4.7 V8, Slightly Modded

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 2.8L CRD Diesel Stock

Comment

it sort of looks like kyle's tracbar brace is bolted a little further back on the passenger's side. You may have enough room I wonder what my front end looks like

Comment

alright finally found what i was looking for. Looks like the braces mount far enough away from each other to run both.

Comment

Working...
                              X