electrical problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrical problems

so the other day i went to take the jeep for a spin. got in, interior lights were dim as if the battery were dead, but i went to start it and it had full power to crank and start. no prob, after a second or two the dim interior lights cut out and my gauge needles dropped. today i found the fuse that blew out, (15A) i didnt have a 15 amp atm fuse so i popped in a 10, instantly popped, so i tried a 20 and the lights came on but were still dim so i shut everything down pulled the fuse back out and went to go move the jeep back to its parking spot and now it wont start. i know something got fucked up when the 20a fuse was in but what i dont get is where is there a tie in between the interior lights and cluster and the starter?
    2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
    1945 Willys-Overland CJ2A

Is your Clutch MC leaking? Because it'll drip right into the fusebox (at least on my MJ) and can make things go haywire.
    1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
    1999 sierra
    1967 M725 Big and Slow
    -Dan

Comment

the xj is still auto and both fuse boxes are on the passenger side. everything involving it starting and running was fine until i put that 20a fuse in. i checked the starter relay by swapping it around with another one, thats fine. maybe theres another fuse i missed? or is there a crossover point where itd have been likely to burn out?

like i had said i smelt something inside the cab not sure if it was a burning smell or what but it didnt smell right whatever it was, and it went away after i took the 20a fuse out

Comment

Check for signal from the ignition switch to the relay in the start position first. When you key it on to accessory does everything come on like normal?
        Dan.
        2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
        www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

yes everything comes on like normal aside from the needles cause that fuse is still out but the dash test lights come on. when switched to start it does nothing

Originally posted by ct67_72 View Post
          Check for signal from the ignition switch to the relay in the start position first.
          pull the relay and using a test light in the appropriate terminal when switched on?
          Last edited by Lycaon; 03-19-2013, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lycaon View Post
            yes everything comes on like normal aside from the needles cause that fuse is still out but the dash test lights come on. when switched to start it does nothing

pull the relay and using a test light in the appropriate terminal when switched on?
            Yes. in "start" so someone will have to hold the key on
            Dan.
            2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

ok, but any idea where the tie-in between the interior lights(#17 in engine bay fuse panel) and the starting circuit is?

Comment

Originally posted by Lycaon View Post
                ok, but any idea where the tie-in between the interior lights(#17 in engine bay fuse panel) and the starting circuit is?
                Not other than the ignition switch. Thats why your gonna check that first.
                Dan.

www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

dont know if you got it solved yet, but when i did a frame off i had the same type of problem but with my yj, just for giggle try grounding the battery to the body and motor to the body. when i grounded the motor to body it fixed all my troubles.

Comment

hey...

....hey guys....

...wanna know how stupid i am?...

... when i was checking the interior fuse box i pulled the jumper fuse that powers my push button start....

... yeahhhhh.... forgot to plug that back in.....

..and as far as the resistance in the #17 circuit, i just messed with the door jamb light switch a few times and got full power back. must have collected moisture and made some resistance in there....

Comment

Your a fucktard
                      -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
                        Your a fucktard
                        His a fucktard?
                        97 XJ.

Comment

yes.
                          -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
                            yes.
                            97 XJ.

Comment

MY A FUCKTARD!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X