Need opinions on which gear ratio to run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need opinions on which gear ratio to run

i have been tossing this idea back and forth but i dont have the experience with gears at all so any suggestions are welcome!
    I currently have hp30/44, stock 3.55 gears, locked f/r, 33s. may go to 35s in future if i find the right deal.
    I want to run either 4.56 or 4.88. the only downside i can think of is the d30 pinion chipping. is there a strength difference between the two? Gas mileage isnt an issue. its a jeep. I do drive it a couple times a week so drive ability on the road is a plus. i wheel mainly on rocks idk if that helps
    98 xj, 4.0, AW4, 231 AA SYE, 4.5"RE/RC, CA drop brackets, 33s, and some other stuff

I would think 4.56's should be plenty with a 33, and even a 35. Never driven a jeep with 4.88's, but I can imagine driveability on the street would suffer quite a bit.
    2006 Rubicon - high rock bumper, warn 9.5ti, and lots of stockness....for now...

Comment

I daily drive on the highway 40 miles a day with 4.88s on 33s. It rocks. When I had 35s I wished the gears were deeper
      I drive a Datsun

Comment

go as deep as you can you won't regret it.
        Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

Comment

4.88 just do it
          -98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
          -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
          -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
          -57 GMC Pickup
          -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

Originally posted by konastinky1234 View Post
            This. Keep hearing you wont regret it. When i got my lock-right from Dan he told me to go 4.88 because you never hear anyone complain about gearing to much. and it will cruise down the highway without stress in highgear
            98 xj, 4.0, AW4, 231 AA SYE, 4.5"RE/RC, CA drop brackets, 33s, and some other stuff

Comment

i went with 4.88 with 35s if i was u i would go 4.88

Comment

Yup. I would be no more worried about breaking a 4.88 over a 4.56 either. If its going to break, either one will.
                Dan.
                2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
                www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Originally posted by konastinky1234 View Post
                  - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                  or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                  Originally posted by DizzDizz
                  aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                    finally someone picking up on the subtleties of jon mac....
                    Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

Comment

ive read that trussing the axle helps prevent this because the housing tweaks under pressure and causes the breaks?

Comment

with my build i had the same worries..... but then i looked around at dan and other guys on the forum that run 35s with 4.88s and wheel HARD and dont encounter too much breakage.... shafts are a given but i realized that i was kinda over thinking it..... my 2 cents
                        -98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
                        -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
                        -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
                        -57 GMC Pickup
                        -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

Originally posted by CntStpTheStnk06 View Post
                          with my build i had the same worries..... but then i looked around at dan and other guys on the forum that run 35s with 4.88s and wheel HARD and dont encounter too much breakage.... shafts are a given but i realized that i was kinda over thinking it..... my 2 cents
                          100% agree with you on that. and dan only chipped the pinion. it didnt explode. atleas a chip can still be driven on. shafts are def a given. im planning on running stock shafts with just spicers. so all the breakage goes there and not the gears. problem get some real nice balljoints un the future so they dont pop too easily.

Comment

No one ever regrets going with lower gears.
                            What gears do you have now?
                            How much lower do you wish overdrive was.
                            I say gear as low as you can go with an RPM you can live with on the highway.
                            Say overdrive your at 2200 and you can live with 3000 experiment, down shift on the highway.
                            Just math 3000/2200=gears you want/gears you have which would be about equals to 4.88/3.55

4.56 vs 4.88 is only 7% difference like saying on the highway you engine will be at 3000 or 3210 rpms.
                            for reference 33 to 35 is 6% difference.
                            So 4.56 with 33= 4.88 with 35

I think the strength difference is a misnomer most people that go with 4.56 aren't as hardcore as the people that go with 4.88 therefore more 4.88 break, it is also 7% easier to generate the torque to break with 4.88. But I think if you are close enough to break 4.88 then breaking 4.56 isn't far behind.

Most people don't get a true MPG because they don't recalculate the speedometer.
                            RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                            www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                            Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Working...
                            X