leaf spring bolt, front side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaf spring bolt, front side

is there a trick to getting these loose ? my impact wont touch them, where they are located i really dont want to snap them off either. pb blastered them the best i could through the hole in the frame rail. any tips ?

Redoing my entire suspension and besides the usual snapping of upper shock bolts in the rear the leaf springs is where im stuck at now
    up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
    eliminator MJ - Sold
    99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
    Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Have you removed the rear bolts yet? I am envisioning you have the bolt out enough that the spring has shifted the bolt in the eye so it's on an angle now and virtually impossible to remove. If you take all the tension off the suspension it may make it easier. Or another option would be to make sure the bolt is completely out of the frame rail and cut it out, a new bolt is around $10 from the dealership.

Comment

I usually put a long bar on them and sit down towards the rear and push the bar with my foot. My impact wouldnt take mine out either.
      Dan.
      2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
      www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

do as Dan said. take your time...

I also work it back and forth. everytime time i loosen it a 1/4 turn or so i tighten it back up and do that a couple times... this will help the bolt from getting stuck in the bushing once the threads are out of the frame.
        Originally posted by Ktmracer419
        some people choose video games
        some choose projects
        some choose welding random things together

Comment

drill a small hole in the "cup" and get a torch tip on the nut.

works amazing. If you don't have a torch, this also is an easy way to soak it with penetrating oil.
          www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

sawzall....
            99 XJ on tons and 40s....

Comment

ill have to try the suggestions next time im at the shop. lucky i am able to do this on a lift , had the axle held up/tension off springs with some tall screw jacks. I knew you guys would have some ways. This is my first leaf spring suspension to work on, Wrangler's were much easier to remove the springs haha.

I replaced all 4 shocks (all 4 upper shock bolts broke, had to air hammer out and replace with new bolts)., steering stabilizer, sway bar bushings + end links yesterday and tried the springs but ran into the bolt issue. my jeep is going to feel like a new cherokee once the springs are replaced, the stock springs are sagged probably like 5". between how sagged they were and the blown shock i had in the rear it was hitting the bump stops over small potholes....
              up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
              eliminator MJ - Sold
              99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
              Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

Working...
              X