couple qs about materials.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• couple qs about materials.

So I need armor, and I really can't see shelling out some of the big bucks some companies want for their skids. Has anyone made their own skids? I'm looking for gas tank t case and engine to start with. I'm mainly looking for info on thickness of the skids, what would you say would be sufficient enough for them? Thanks. I already have some sliders made up out of 3/16 square stock, all I gotta do is cut what I need to and get some supports mocked up and they'll be ready to go in.
    Watch your backhoe, I'm the John Deere man.

if you have the tools and means to make them by all means, but if you dont... bolt-on stuff is much easier and if price is an issue just save your dollars and buy used

Comment

i have a mig welder and most of the tools to bend metal and whatnot, ive just been hunting for stock skids in jys and i can never find anything. i just need an idea of what thickness would be good to use. i dont want something too thin, but obviously something too thick i wouldnt be able to work with.

Comment

checkout the thinckness of say... JCR and go from there

Comment

3/16" should be plenty thick enough, i got a X case skid for sale, bolt it right on. Instead of a gas tank skid you could always just raise it up into the trunk area, should be high enough to not need a skid

Comment

Originally posted by TerraHauler View Post
            3/16" should be plenty thick enough, i got a X case skid for sale, bolt it right on. Instead of a gas tank skid you could always just raise it up into the trunk area, should be high enough to not need a skid
            i was thinking about doing the tank tuck but i dont want to lose too much cargo space. it is also my dd and i still have to put my son in it at the end of the day so id be worried about fumes and stuff. i just dont want to do that right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Trailer Ray View Post
              i have a mig welder and most of the tools to bend metal and whatnot, ive just been hunting for stock skids in jys and i can never find anything. i just need an idea of what thickness would be good to use. i dont want something too thin, but obviously something too thick i wouldnt be able to work with.
              i still have that stock xj tank skid if you want it. i mean its a stock skid so it's pretty slim, weld some 3/16's over it and you'll be all good.

most companies either use 3/16" or 1/4". I have heard of people bending skid row transfer case skids which are made from 3/16's,

If you bend a skid plate made from 1/4" though, i will shake your hand.
              No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
              Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
                i still have that stock xj tank skid if you want it. i mean its a stock skid so it's pretty slim, weld some 3/16's over it and you'll be all good.

most companies either use 3/16" or 1/4". I have heard of people bending skid row transfer case skids which are made from 3/16's,

If you bend a skid plate made from 1/4" though, i will shake your hand.
                lol. idk if anyone could bend anything made from 1/4". where does the stock skid mount up to? i dont have the tow package and i noticed a few companies mount on to that setup..

Comment

My WARN T-case skid is 3/16 but I think its made out of cardboard by the way it looks now. Kilby gas tank skid is also 3/16 and has held up. Just saying, if you make your own get a good quality steel and brace it in so it has the least possible chance to move
                  I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

bracing is probably more important than thickness once you get into the 3/16th and beyond realm
                    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                    Originally posted by DizzDizz
                    aliens probed my husband

Comment

FWIW my buddy bent his 1/4 TNT bellypan at RC last season..
                      89XJ Pioneer Edition 3.5" 33s ravines 4:10s 8.8- parted but not forgotten
                      95XJ tons 3 link 36s 5:38s
                      97 F-250HD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
                      If Parts Ain't Flyin' you Ain't Tryin'

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

Originally posted by WAD357 View Post
                        FWIW my buddy bent his 1/4 TNT bellypan at RC last season..
                        i will shake his hand, thats an impressive use of the skinny pedal. FWIW I bent 2 clayton longarms at the same time (those are 1/4 )

ForSure Motorsports
                        Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

i will shake his hand, thats an impressive use of the skinny pedal. FWIW I bent 2 clayton longarms at the same time (those are 1/4 )
                          musta been ones you put together we'll see how things go with work and whatnot and what my funds are looking like. i mean, i need armor before oer4 soooo.....

Comment

Originally posted by Trailer Ray View Post
                            musta been ones you put together we'll see how things go with work and whatnot and what my funds are looking like. i mean, i need armor before oer4 soooo.....
                            I bent the steel itself, something i have no control over

ForSure Motorsports
                            Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

ive def seen more than a few of those bent (tnt belly)

hell, i think ive seen everything bent at some point
                              - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                              or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                              Originally posted by DizzDizz
                              aliens probed my husband

Comment

Working...
                              X