want to swap motor/tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• want to swap motor/tranny

i want to switch my 4.Ol for a v8 with a compatible tranny(preferably auto)into my 93 YJ....any suggestions? cost/is it worth it? who has 'em?
    99 XJ on tons and 40s....

Steve has an AMC360 in his Wide J. Runs well.

Why do you want to get rid of the 4.0 though?
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Chevy 350 with 700r4 will be the cheapest route and you'll have overdrive. Dodge's 360 is an awesome torquey engine and you can get the 518a tranny that will have an overdrive but the 360 will most likely be a little more expensive. Don't forget all the stuff that goes with a v8 swap. Cooling, motor mounts, tranny mount, crossmember, driveshafts, wiring, headers/manifold fit. Just things to consider beforehand.

Comment

Ford 302 swap. I was going to do that. I actually have a motor out of a 87 mustang i was going to use. I bought a hit car so I have the entire wiring harness, all the EFI, and they make motor mounts for the YJ. they even make an adapter for the 302 to mate to the ax-15. 302 is basically the same weight as the 4.0 and the dist. is up front. i need to ask too, why get rid of the 4.0?

Comment

well the motor seems like its on its way out, it makes this weird ass noise when i get the rpms up to around 3000,like a high pitched whining at the end of the powerband.....the other thing is my tranny is definitely on its way out unless changing synchros isnt a big deal... or if i could id like to find a cheap used auto for the 4.OL....i was just thinking out loud i suppose....but i definitely would like to not have to drive my jeep like a commercial vehicle with the double clutching for once....
          99 XJ on tons and 40s....

Comment

Working...
          X