Very Bizarre Vibrations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Bizarre Vibrations

Backstory: 97 TJ AX 15 with the NP231. Within the last year I have changed all the fluids and today just checked the levels all as well. I pulled the front drive shaft and swapped in an alternate rear trying to figure this vibration out.
    Basically my steering wheel and mostly the steering wheel vibrates between 27-35 mph. So vibes when I initially start out but nothing compared to the vibes when slowing down in gear. Happens mostly in third and fourth and not so much fifth. I was thinking balancing or front end since I replaced the tie rod with a ZJ one, BUT the vibes disappear between gear shifts and when the jeep is in neutral. I also noticed the front of the transfer case is wet, not sure if they are related but what could be leaking and what could possibly be causing the steering wheel to bounce.

Pictures are at http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/v...76141d224b0f78

Thanks in advance
    Don't Panic

Did you try pulling the rear shaft and driving with FWD only?

Comment

sounds like bad u-joints
      RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
      www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
      Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Shafts, it sounds like. Or maybe output bearings on the t-case?
        2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
        MK2 Jetta > M3
        Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

U joints it was... Did learn that drive shaft has to be put on a certain way. After all the blood and swear got the new one together put it in and the vibrations were fucking stetchy, way worse than before. Pull into a gas station and rotated the shaft 180, put it back and and seems to be good... Knock on wood.

Why the specificity with installment, shouldn't it be balanced regardless?

Now onto the leak, you guys think the new onset vibes might have cause the seals to weep?
          Don't Panic

Comment

sounds like the u-joint wasn't installed correctly the first time.
            it shouldn't matter which ways it was installed. U-joints only need to be lined up on both ends of the same shaft.

Some times the yoke wears out and the u-joint will walk to one side and you will have vibrations with new u-joint make sure it was nice and snug. There should be no play even side to side.
            RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
            www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
            Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Makes sense... It's Reid's old shaft so it's his fault.

What would leak right below the front driveshaft output?
              Don't Panic

Comment

The output seal. Output bearing is probably bad
                2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                MK2 Jetta > M3
                Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Take you vibrator off the steering column. I made the same mistake.
                  Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

Not my fault. I never drive jeeps fast enough to worry about vibrations. And it was years ago

Comment

Working...
                    X