Rare stall out and no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare stall out and no start

Thought we fixed this earlier this year but it seems to be still evident.

Happens rarely, but every once in a blue moon my XJ will just shut off, can be driving or sitting, and then it will not start again for anywhere from 10 minutes to what seems like an hour+ no matter what you do, just cranks. Once you wait, and start it again, it will run all day no problem and may not do it again for awhile.

As far as I can remember we have changed every sensor, the coil, fuel pump, fuel filter, cap, rotor, wires, maybe a couple other things I have forgotten. No clue what this is and theres no way to recreate it.

Does anyone have any inkling at all? This has been going on for a couple years now, luckily i dont drive it much and it happens rarely as is.
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

there is a bad wire in the harness somewhere, my buddy had one in his and the jeep would do things similar to this. he replaced his ENTIRE harness with another one. inspected it first and then replaced. never had an issue after that, however he was very unhappy while replacing it.

he also went through all the things you have done, every sensor, checked every ground, then checked them all again, replaced things. i'll ask him about it more for ya, he's my go to guy on XJ wiring now and can tell me exactly where every ground and sensor is on the thing hahah.

Comment

Ignition switch in the column grounding out?
      "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
      It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

Have you checked all the connections in the power distribution center under the pass side under the hood?

Also when it doesn't start have you listened to see if the fuel pump is turning on and off with the key?

Comment

Had a similar issue with my 96...would have very similar issues and as time progressed it got worse. Turns out in the end it was a bad fuel pump. Felt like vapor lock and something electrical combined....seems as though yours is electrical only however as you can't recreate it. Just 2 cents ....
          -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
          https://www.facebook.com/M3TALurgist
          I Love Scott Decker and Erik Miller
          -Ian

"Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you family"

Comment

Let me sum this up for everyone that has/is going to reply...

Have you resistance checked every single electrical socket/pin in every single harness from the headlights to the tail lights? Including, but not limited to, the ground pin on terminal 8A of the flux capacitor that's connected to the washer fluid resi?

Oh no?..... Well shit, idk.
            Originally posted by Ktmracer419
            some people choose video games
            some choose projects
            some choose welding random things together

Comment

Will let's hook my fuel pressure gauge to it and see what's happening. If we can figure it out I'm going to recommend changing the rotary trans diver with a jumper lead to incapacitator adjustment valve.
              Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

Just like mine did Will. Look for a chaffed wire in the harness directly behind the valve cover at the firewall. The one that broke on mine sent power from the fuse box under the hood to the pcm +b. No CEL when key on after it dies?

Comment

Working...
                X