How to make throttle cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make throttle cable

So i'm doing the 5.3 lm7 swap into my yj and needed a throttle cable. Everyone buys the lokar universal cable and "makes it work".....F**k that. i wasn;t about to pay ~$85 for something that doesn't fit perfect. So i grabbed my old throttle cable from the 4.0 and and started messing around with it. Obviously it fit the firewall and pedal it came from, but to my surprise on the engine side it clipped right into the bracket for the original cable. so the outer sleeve worked and the clips worked, but the actual cable was to short, and had the wrong fitting. I did some thinking and came up with this. The original cable is just 1/16" cable(also sold at homedepot) picked 6' up for about $2. Needed to crimp on 1 end to make a stopper for the pedal clip(went to westmarine where they make life lines for boats, and crimped on an end), and ordered throttle/clutch cable compression fittings. all said and done about $8. I also made a cable that is 1/16 with green teflon coating and will see if it fits because it would look nice. i'm bringing it to the jeep wednesday to install but thought i would share what i came up with. Here is a couple pics of the inner cables i made and i will post more pics on wednesday or thursday

The crimped on ends (used a tool that crimps on fittings for lifelines on boats....it will definitly hold)

and the compression/clamp fittings that go on the throttle body side(i have 2 because idk the size i need)
    1991 YJ, 1 tons, locked, lots o armor, stretched, cage

When I did the cummins swap in my Grand wagoneer the linkage on the cummins had the same hookup as the original V8, BUT the I needed a longer cable. Turns out a stock dodge truck cable worked out and was 34 bucks. May be able to do something similar. Go to a used car dealer and pop the hood haha

Comment

Working...
    X