Spark Plug type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Plug type

What do you think are the best plugs for a 97 XJ 4.0 5spd.
    I know that in my old 5.0 I was told that no matter what the 5.0 motors enjoyed booring old copper plugs more than anything. Any suggestions for the 4.0? and what is the proper gapping?

I prefer copper in most things. More so because copper is a better conductor than platinum. It just doesnt last as long. That being said I have platinums in my jeep right now. But Im lazy and dont want to pull the coil pack off too often.
    My typical preference goes;
    bosch copper
    ngk v-power
    standard ac-delco
    motor craft
    bosch platinum
    ngk platinum
    double platinum.

I do like iridium plugs also, and they would be on the top of my list, but a lot of people wont pay for them.
    The densos in my nissan were like 12 or 14$ a plug.
    Dan.
    2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
    www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Yeah, I agree with the copper being the best conductor. I have Iridiums in my bike but dont feel like spending that money at the moment. I'll just stick with basic Copper plugs then, you reconmend using bosch copper? and what is the gapping any chance you know off the top of your head?

Comment

Im not sure on the gap. I like the bosch copper. The real ones that come in the yellow box.
        Dan.
        2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
        www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Originally posted by HawgWagon View Post
          Yeah, I agree with the copper being the best conductor. I have Iridiums in my bike but dont feel like spending that money at the moment. I'll just stick with basic Copper plugs then, you reconmend using bosch copper? and what is the gapping any chance you know off the top of your head?

Some guys say .040 is better or even .045 but it eats your plugs up like no tomorrow. I'd personally just gap them at .035.

I just use Champion Copper Pluses. They're like $1.73 a plug.

While you're at it do the cap + rotor + plug wires.
          Last edited by Hudson; 02-19-2013, 04:03 PM.
          Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

Comment

Jeep 4.0's run best with champion copper plugs, or any copper for that matter. That's what the Internet taught me at least
            P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
            2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
            OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Drop a heat zone and tighten the gap to .028 under boost.

Comment

Working...
              X