Upgraded Wiring Harness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hudson View Post
    Will try all of these when I get home. Spray WD-40 on just the belt?

Is it possible that I tightened the belt too much? I might be crazy but it almost looks like the belt isn't spinning as fast, and kind of sounds bogged down like something is seized up and holding it back.

I should be able to spin all accessories rather easy by hand or should I need a decent amount of force to spin them by hand?
    They should all spin pretty easily. Sometimes you cant tell a PS pump is bad though until you have enough rpm to put a good load on it, but its worth checking by hand anyway
    Dan.
    2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
    www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Originally posted by ct67_72 View Post
      They should all spin pretty easily. Sometimes you cant tell a PS pump is bad though until you have enough rpm to put a good load on it, but its worth checking by hand anyway
      Just went outside and started the jeep. The belt didn't spin at ALL when i first started it. I turned it off immediately after seeing that. Sprayed WD40 all over everything and started it up again.

This time the belt began spinning. I don't even think it's the power steering pump anymore. It sounds more like something in the water pump area is making this noise.

I spun my new water pump by hand and it worked fine. I don't think that seized up THAT fast, but you never know.

Could i have made the idler pulley too tight or something along these lines?

Here is a video. Maybe you can understand this slightly better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft2cO...ature=youtu.be
      Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson View Post
        Just went outside and started the jeep. The belt didn't spin at ALL when i first started it. I turned it off immediately after seeing that. Sprayed WD40 all over everything and started it up again.

This time the belt began spinning. I don't even think it's the power steering pump anymore. It sounds more like something in the water pump area is making this noise.

I spun my new water pump by hand and it worked fine. I don't think that seized up THAT fast, but you never know.

Could i have made the idler pulley too tight or something along these lines?

Here is a video. Maybe you can understand this slightly better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft2cO...ature=youtu.be
        you should ALMOST be able to twist the belt. 5 times......then its tight eniugh. You dont have to bounce quarters of it
        Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
        didnt this thread start with Jon being gay? what happened to that?
        Originally posted by Lawn Guyland
        he's still gay we've just moved on to more important issues
        Originally posted by Zullius Caesar
        i grab dude's junk all the time, doesn't make me gay.

Comment

if the belt is cracking and catching you can try to save it by spraying belt tensioner on it. makes the belt last longer, but if it is catching bad enough to not spin, you are better off replacing it.

The inside of my YJ's engine bay was all black from me being to lazy to shut off the engine when spraying tensioner on. maybe that is why the alternator crapped out so quick

Comment

if your belt isnt spinning, chances are somethings locked up, take the belt off and try spinning the alternator pulley etc. should spin by hand. also make sure its routed correctly.
            up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
            eliminator MJ - Sold
            99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
            Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

as far as the wiring harness that you bought, i have the same one just waiting for a nice day to install it, along with other things that need to be installed. The putco harness is a good upgrade. the jeeps didnt come with the greatest lights to begin with and the fact that both lights draw their power from the switch makes the switch the short link. the harness gives each light its own ground wire, and a relay for both highs and low beams. I havent read or seen a single complaint about the harness except the supplied relays dying on some people. but they can easily be changed if youd rather not deal with risk.

http://www.naxja.net/forum/showthrea...dlight+harness
              Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you. If I Die, You are Forgiven." Such is the Rule of Honor.

Comment

Was going to quote everyone, but that'd be excessive. Thanks to every single one of you who inputted information.

I got the harness in, the new housings in, and the 60/55w bulbs in. My god. It's night and day. (Literally and figuratively.)

These lights work SO SO SO much better than stock. One of the best upgrades if not the best that i've done to the jeep. I can actually see things at night. These pictures do not do it justice.

Hell you can even run a 100/95w bulb in it if you really wanted to. I can't even imagine the amount of light that would throw off.

First picture is lows, second picture is highs.

Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

Comment

Working...
                X