jeep cancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeep cancer

So my jeep is sick and dying, and it is in dire need of some reviving. I've been putting this off for a long enough time since I got my jeep and I think its about time I got to doing my rockers. On my drivers side under the shitty diamond plate I have ( which is going to be taken off) I have two rust spots (huge holes) that need repairing. I was thinking of cutting out all the rust and replacing it with sheet metal. I want to get all of it out once and for all so that I can put in rock sliders. Ive got some pictures of some of the rust, so any suggestions would be nice.

back side

front side

here is an idea of what I want to cut out. (yes I know its the passenger side, this is just to give you an idea.)

So basically all the red is where I'm going to cut out and weld in new metal. do you guys think this will be strong enough? I was planning on putting in a few braces on the inside just for structural support.

thanks guys.
    91 YJ: 4.0, 4" lift, 33" TSL's, SYE, Woody driveshaft, cut flares

either A. patch it, B.cut it out and cover it up, C find a tub and replace it

Comment

D. boatside it.
      "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
      It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

HA boatside would be sick... i just have no idea how i would go about doing that.

for now my plant is to cut it all out and replace it .... unless boatside is really... really.. easy.

Comment

Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed View Post
          D. boatside it.
          xtew.
          -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by GRANT View Post
            HA boatside would be sick... i just have no idea how i would go about doing that.

for now my plant is to cut it all out and replace it .... unless boatside is really... really.. easy.
            It all depends on how good you are with cutting and welding.
            "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
            It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

Im taking a college class in welding......
              as well as getting a welder in a few months.

I'm going to start researching.

Comment

boatsides... your class project
                89XJ Pioneer Edition 3.5" 33s ravines 4:10s 8.8- parted but not forgotten
                95XJ tons 3 link 36s 5:38s
                97 F-250HD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
                If Parts Ain't Flyin' you Ain't Tryin'

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

Im gonna go with the majority and say boatside..If you check out like pirate4x4 there are a zillion wrangler builds that could give you some good ideas.
                  98 Cherokee, D30/8.25 w/4.56s locked F/R -- 3 link front IRO springs rear with shackle relocation, one ton steering w/heims, hybrid cage under contruction, 33'' KM2's

Comment

Originally posted by netrachamp1853 View Post
                    Im gonna go with the majority and say boatside..If you check out like pirate4x4 there are a zillion wrangler builds that could give you some good ideas.
                    well lets not get crazy now...there are probably only a trillion builds with that
                    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                    Originally posted by DizzDizz
                    aliens probed my husband

Comment

I found a touch of rust on my YJ once and went this route...

boat sides would make for a sweet class project...

RM

Comment

too bad my rust is in the middle. I figure if I do the boatside and add 3/16" slider it wouldn't be too much work since its going to be cut apart. I need to do some research tonight. And figure out the diretion imm taking.
                        Last edited by GRANT; 08-16-2010, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X